The suspicion of great deception

Khazad-dûm, Middle-Earth

Elanor would have liked to say she was perfectly comfortable and at ease the next day when Elrond came to share her table for a meal. She tried to smile as she usually did, but her mind kept returning to her daydreams and the idea of pressing her lips to Elrond's.

She did not think the Half-Elf realised her awkwardness, but even then, his ignorance did not appease Elanor, who recognised her sentiments might be more consequential than she first thought. Lately, she had felt as if she could barely control herself. She was like a teapot about to blow its top, steam escaping her without being able to do anything to stop it.

Regardless, the morning went by rather peacefully, and by midday, Elrond asked her to accompany him to Khazad-dûm as it had been decided the day before. The journey to the mountain was on horseback, allowing Elanor's left leg some more rest, although it was healing well, and Elrond had removed the sutures. They did not converse much, instead enjoying the silence, the vast green fields and the rocky mountainsides. Elrond was rather quiet, compared to his usual self, seemingly preoccupied with Durin's supposed secret, and Elanor still felt embarrassed by her newfound feelings.

When they arrived in Khazad-dûm, Elrond suggested they first visit the mines to try to find Durin's work team, if not Durin himself. They rapidly joined the closest one, the paths leading there being clear and well-used. Elanor and Elrond then separated. Elanor walked farther inside the mine's shaft, leaving the Half-Elf to try and find his friend Durin closer to the "surface". She first arrived in a cave where four dwarves were mining, heavy pickaxes and tiny goldsmithing hammer in hands, as she approached them, clearing her throat. The dwarves turned around briskly, scowling at her intrusion, but Elanor held her ground, squaring her shoulders slightly as she smiled politely.

"My apologies, master dwarves," she bowed lightly, "I am in search of his Lordship Durin. Have you seen him?"

The dwarves stared at her silently for a moment before one of them — he wore a helmet in a different colour than the rest of the group, making Elanor believe he must be the team leader — stepped closer to her.

"Haven't seen his Princeship, Elf," he grunted, still frowning, "Now, leave. The mines are no elf place."

"Are you certain? I need to talk to him about important matters," she insisted still, but the dwarf expression darkened, and Elanor knew she had to depart.

"An Elf is calling me a liar..." he grumbled, the other dwarves coming closer. Elanor smiled politely, hoping to appease them, but realising it would not be enough. Thus, she raised her hands in front of her in a peaceful sign.

"I am not suggesting you are lying, master dwarf," she declared calmly, "merely that, perhaps, his location may escape your good thinking."

He grunted once more, glaring at Elanor.