The First Client

Starting a new enterprise is always difficult, but I had the support of Mother, my sisters, and Emory. He was the most enthusiastic. Apparently Carmella had infected him with the idea that I would be able to help people who were in need. I wasn't so sure, but I had decided to give it a try. The fist step was to talk with Father Angus. I approached him after service on Sunday morning.

"Dorothea, how is married life?" he asked with a smile.

"Excellent so far, Father. I wanted to ask a favor of you," I said.

He patted me on the shoulder. "Anything for my favorite parishioner."

"I thought that was my mother. I am a bit at a loss with my employer on the way to Egypt for her honeymoon. I would ask you to let your parishioners know that if they have a mystery, they can come to me."

"A mystery. What do you mean?"

"For example, if their cat has gone missing, I will try to find it. Or if someone has been stealing bread at a bakery, I would investigate it."

"I will keep my ear to the ground for you."

"Thank you, Father."

It took a week for this to pay off. Emory had just headed to his workshop, when there was a knock at the front door. Freddy ran to open it. She had appointed herself the door person, I think because she wanted to be the first to see a possible client.

"We got one," she said as she skipped into the parlor.

"One what?" I asked.

"A client. There's a lady who wants to talk to you."

The lady in question came right on Freddy's heels. It was Polly Bunan, a lady who did laundry while her husband was at sea. She was a regular customer at my mother's cart and knew me since I was a baby in arms. She had three grown daughters and a son who was apprenticed to Emory's uncle. I had to wonder what problem she might bring to me.

"I want you to find out where Nora is going at night," she said without preamble. "She is sneaking out after she thinks I'm asleep."

Nora was her youngest daughter, still living at home and giving girls sewing lessons. She dreamed of starting her own dress shop. I knew she was a good girl, but it sounded like her mother wasn't too sure of that.

"I will do your household laundry for six months," she said. "What do you say?"

Not doing my own laundry for half a year was worth a lot to me. As my first payment, it was perfect. I was sure whatever Nora was doing, it was entirely innocent, but this would make her mother feel better.

I offered my hand, "I'll take the case."