The Drunk

Freddy and I decided to take a hansom cab to the newly built theater which stood on the grounds of The Royalty and The Royal Brunswick Theatre. Bella and her company had been able to buy it at a good price because at this point most of the theater world considered the area cursed. The first theater had burned down in 1826 and the theater quickly built after was destroyed when its roof collapsed on its third night open. An enterprising architect had decided to give it a third go, but no one was willing to lease or buy it until Bella came along. She changed the name to The Athena and hoped that the run of bad luck was over.

It stood in Whitechapel and fronted onto Well Street and backed onto Dock Street. Another detraction for theater companies was the current state of the neighborhood, but since Bella and company had successfully put on a play almost purely for the ladies of the working class, they were planning to continue this model and Whitechapel was where some of this audience lived. Bella did plan to hire security for her players. Having spent my youngest years in a similar neighborhood, I thought this wise.

We departed the cab a few blocks from the theater and as we walked we heard shouting across the street. A large man accosted a young woman wearing a fine walking dress. She tried to go around him, but he got in her way. Freddy started toward them.

"I'm not sure we should get involved with this." I put a hand on her shoulder.

"That's Miss Maureen Aimes. She wants to be an actress and her father has a lot of money he might invest. She's an American. Besides, shouldn't we help other women in trouble?" Freddy asked.

He was quite obviously blootered. If Freddy wasn't with me, I wouldn't have hesitated to intervene, but she was right. We needed to help Miss Aimes. We didn't want an American to be accosted on the streets without helping her. Freddy and I hurried across the street.

I spoke first. "Sir, why are you bothering this young lady? Don't you have better things to do?"

He turned and gaped. "What business is it of yours, girlie? This here 'lady' is an actress and we all know what actresses do." His words were slurred and his eyes were bloodshot.

"Take part in plays?" Freddy asked.

Miss Aimes laughed nervously and tried to pass him again, but he grabbed her arm. There is something none of my friends know. I carry a .44 Derringer pistol in my handbag. Lord Kingsbury had gifted it to me and taught me how to use it. He decided I needed it when traveling to visit my mother in Old Nichol. I'd never had to shoot someone with it, but I had used it as a deterrent. I pulled it out.

"Whatever you think actresses do, this lady has clearly indicated she does not wish to speak with you. You need to move along and perhaps go sleep it off. I assume you have work to do in the morning." So that he knew I meant business, I shot at a spot right in front of his feet.

The man looked tempted to try something, but thought better of it. "I'll go find a willing woman."