Dinner Party Drama

I decided to make rabbit pudding for the dinner since I'd found a couple of hares at Mr. Egerton's butcher shop. I used my mother's recipe, which included a lot more herbs than the average pudding. It was quick to make, hardy, and very tasty. Emory went to fetch Barton around five thirty. I debated on whether to tell him Dabbs was coming to dinner. Did he deserve a warning? Would it be better for him to react in surprise?

Barton and Emory arrived earlier than expected. Freddy and I were in the drawing room as they came in stamping their feet. A late January snow fell outside the windows. The last snow had been around our wedding. The winter had been dry and cold. Freddy had looked out the window longingly all afternoon. I suspected she wished to play in the snow, but was too interested in being there for this cases' conclusion to do so.

"Emory tells me you found him," Barton said. "Where is he? Is he all right?"

"He plans to sail to America," I said. "Within the next few days."

"Will he see me?"

"I'm not sure. Why do you really want to see him? It has nothing to do with your father, does it?"

Barton took a long breath. "No. I want to have him tell me to my face that he never wants to see me again."

The clock struck six and there was a knock at the door. "That can be arranged," I said.

"I'll get the door." Freddy ran out of the room.

"Mr. Dabbs has agreed to come to dinner with us tonight. I want you to truly think about what you want to say to him. I suggest you be brave and admit to what you truly want," I said.

Freddy practically pulled Dabbs into the room. He was dressed in a very fine suit, although it was a style from last season. The look on his face when he saw Barton was that of a man on his way to the gallows. Barton's face was flushed and he reached out a hand then pulled it back.

Emory said, "Before we have any heartfelt taks, why don't we have an excellent dinner?"

Freddy and Emory were the only ones who spoke at dinner. Barton and Dabbs ate their pudding silently, casting furtive glances at each other the whole time. I noticed they ate all of their pudding despite the obvious tension between them. No one can resist one of my mother's recipes.

When I asked Freddy to clear and wash the dishes, her face looked like thunder. I sent her a look which said these two men were not going to speak honestly to each other in the presence of a girl. She went to work with a banging of silverware and bowls. The rest of us returned to the drawing room.

"Gentleman, I'm going to speak my piece, then Emory and I will leave you," I said. "Barton came to us claiming that his father told him he had to find you or he couldn't come home. This was clearly a flam. I know for a fact that Mr. Whitlock Senior wants to never see you again, Mr. Dabbs. Tell Barton what he demanded of you."

Dabbs cleared his throat. He was not seated, but stood next to the fireplace. "Your father told me that if I don't take myself to America he will disinherit you. I couldn't be responsible for such an injustice."

Barton's cheeks flushed again. "I don't care a fig for his threat. If I can't be with you, life isn't worth living. I thought you felt the same. Was I mistaken? Do you only love me because of my money and position?"