Love is Everything

Dabbs growled in frustration. "You're trying to provoke me, but I won't lose my temper. I care too much about you to let you ruin your life."

Barton said, "Let's review what my life will be without you. First, my father will insist I marry some woman to continue the family name and I won't have a good reason to refuse. Second, I will make the woman unhappy and we most likely will both have affairs and cause all kinds of scandals. Third, my father will most likely disinherit me for a child who isn't either of our blood, since I won't be having relations with my wife."

"In counterpoint, what would your life be like with me in America? You've never had to work a day in your life. You are accustomed to the best in everything. I can't let you leave your life behind."

These were the classic arguments between lovers of different stations. Dabbs didn't mention the difficulties of two men living together, but perhaps this was one thing which would be easier in America, where one didn't have the same scrutiny from one's neighbors. Who would care about two English bachelors living together? I was surprised they hadn't asked us to leave. Perhaps it was a way to keep their emotions from running too high.

"How do you plan to make your living?" I asked Dabbs. "I hope you have learned your lesson in speculation."

"I believe I know the answer to that," Barton said. "While Henry didn't do well in the profession his father wanted him to pursue, he trained to be an architect. He has a marvelous mixture of artistic talent and engineering know-how. It is very difficult for an unestablished architect here in England, but they need them in America."

It was Dabbs' turn to blush. "I had contemplated starting as an assistant in an architecture firm. I don't have a degree in it, but I am willing to work my way up and perhaps even gain a degree from an American university."

"Very good. You have a plan." I turned to Barton. "What skills do you have which could give you a living?"

"I'm very good with animals. My father has always assumed I would run his mines, but I'd rather study veterinary medicine. I applied at the London Veterinary College and was accepted. My father learned about it and made me give up the position, but I have done my own study and worked with animals all my life. I am sure I could make a living with this in America."

"You never told me about this ambition," Dabbs said.

"I didn't think it would come to anything. Henry, I don't care about money. I know you'll say this is because I've always had it, but I think we could do well together. I do have some money of my own which would help us start a life in America. What do you say?"

"You don't know what you'd be getting into."

"I swear, if I ever complain about not being rich anymore, you can thrash me."

"It would be nice to buy passage on the steamship rather than working."

I clapped my hands, "It could be your honeymoon trip." They both stared at me. "You are pleading to spend the rest of your lives together. I see that as a kind of marriage."

Barton grinned and got down on one knee. "Henry Dabbs, will you have me for richer or poorer as long as we both shall live?"

"I hope you won't regret this, but yes." Henry pulled him to his feet."

"Dorothea and I are your witnesses. And we expect to come and visit you when you are settled."