Who's Acting

Miss Patterson had given her father a ticket in the front row. Maggie and I were five rows back. The concert had been very close to being sold out. I was surprised that the child of a mother with no husband was doing so well. Perhaps it made sense; the elder Miss Patterson had been a governess and must have had the skills to teach young ladies many talents. If I looked into her background, I might find she was the daughter of a noble family fallen on hard times. Such a lady might be able to help her talented child reach her potential, especially if she had some wealthy friends to give a helping hand.

The theme of the night was love songs and I sat back and listened to the young lady sing and play. She was an excellent musician. She sang selections for Alfred Lord Tennyson, Samuel Lover, Walter, Sandor, and even two songs from the female poet, Adelaide Anne Proctor. It was unusual to hear music written by a woman, unless it was in the home of that same lady.

Maggie's eyes were shining. I thought she was proud to have such a talented relative. It seemed Miss Patterson was much more well situated than her father and his family. Perhaps she really did just want to get to know him, but she could still be acting. It seemed she didn't need money from him, but what did she really desire?

When the performance was over we met Mr. Beckham. "You could have told me you were bringing Maggie."

"I didn't want you feeling too nervous. I think Maggie meeting her sister will allow her to help you tell Mrs. Beckham about her. You need to be totally honest with your wife, if you don't want to lose her," I said.

"Da, you shouldn't have kept this to yourself," Maggie said. "I know you feel Ma is being unfair, and she is a bit, but you have to give her a chance to understand."

He shook his head. "I'm not sure she can understand, but let's introduce you. Mary's been asking to meet the family, we might as well start with you."

He led us down the hallway off the performance space and knocked on one of the doors. Miss Patterson opened it and smiled. She had already changed into a simple dress. She ushered us in.

"Father, I'm so glad you came. Who are your friends?" she asked.

"Mary, I'd like to introduce you to your sister, Margaret Beckham and her friend, Mrs. Dorothea Hall."

Mary studied her half-sister for a long moment and then offered her hand. Maggie took it and gave a hardy shake. Mary pulled her sister into an embrace. If she was acting, she was as good an actor as Bella. I thought she was genuinely happy to meet her sister. It was understandable, she had only had her mother as family so far in life.

She took my hand as well. Her grip was firm and warm. She had the calluses of a life-long piano player. I contemplated how to tacitly ask her what she wanted out of her family.

"I'm afraid I have an ulterior motive to being here with your family," I said. "I don't know if your father has told you about what is happening with his wife?"