Tired to the Bone

Dabbs put his head in his hands and said, "Oh Barty, you couldn't let it go. I'm tired, Mrs. Hall, so tired."

I nodded. "What are you tired of? Tricking people, losing other people's money, or maybe lying about how you feel?"

"All of the above. I did lose my friends and acquaintances money, but I was willing to stay and face the consequences this time. Mr. Whitlock had other ideas. He called me to his house here in London and told me I was going to sail to America. If I didn't do as he said, he would disown Barty and see that neither of us would have any peace. I didn't have any choice. You need to tell Barty you couldn't find me. I can't ever see him again."

"I knew it was something like that, but don't you owe him an explanation? You could see him one last time and say goodbye."

Dabbs looked me in the eyes. "I'm afraid neither of us will be able to say goodbye. You don't know the truth."

I put a hand on his shoulder. "You love Barton."

"Of course, like a brother," he said.

"I don't think so. You want to spend the rest of your life with him. I expect the thing you didn't mention is that Mr. Whitlock and you follow the path of Greek Love. That would ruin both your lives, isn't that so?"

"If you understand that, you know why I can't risk it."

"I think you underestimate Barton. I have a feeling he would be willing to travel with you to America and forget all about his father and wealth. I think you should come with me and talk with him. What have you got to lose at this point? You said you were tired of lying."

His face went pale and then flushed. I could see he was thinking hard on my words. I saw the moment when he decided.

"Where can we meet?" he asked. "Where would it be safe?"

"At my home." I handed him my card. "Join us for dinner tomorrow at six."

"You eat early," he said quietly.

"We're not part of the haute town. I hope you will come."

I left him alone with his thoughts. As I passed his friends, I saw they were surprised he hadn't come out with me. I kept my head high and headed for home. I sent a message to Barton's hotel. Emory had stayed late since he needed to catch up on some work, so that night it was just Freddy and I.

"You found him, didn't you?" she asked.

"Yes, and he was actually trying to do the noble thing. Barton's father told him to flee to America permanently. He threatened Barton's inheritance."

"But you convinced him to come talk with Barton, didn't you?"

"He'll be having dinner with us tomorrow night. I couldn't leave Barton to wonder forever what happened to his friend. Let us home that this meeting will turn out for the best."