Family Claims

"Shall I come visit tomorrow morning?" Miss Patterson asked.

"I don't suppose it could be tonight. I'd rather get this over with," Mr. Beckham said.

"Pa," Maggie hit him on the arm. "You need to take this seriously. Ma worked all day to take care of the family, and you want to spring your daughter on her. Tomorrow morning will be fine. Besides, I'm sure Mary is tired from performing. We should all be at our best."

"It's settled then," Miss Patterson shook her half sister's hand.

Mr. Beckham muttered something about shouldn't get a say in this, but we all ignored him. I really wanted to be there for this family gathering ,but wasn't sure it was appropriate. I had the feeling Mr. and Mrs. Beckham would prefer privacy. Before I could address the issue, Maggie pulled me aside.

"You have to be there to support me tomorrow," she said.

"Wouldn't you rather it be a private family matter?" I asked.

"No. I think things will stay more civil if we have a less interested party in the room."

"I don't suppose I could talk to your mother before this historic meeting. I'm entirely missing her view on the matter."

Maggie heaved a sigh. "I know, but if she won't tell her only daughter what's on her mind, I don't think she's going to tell a stranger."

"Perhaps not, but springing a young woman on her, who claims to be her husband's daughter probably, isn't going to go well."

"Do you think Miss Patterson is lying?"

"No, I'm just trying to think of it from your mother's perspective. Mary and you look very much alike and I don't get the impression she's lying."

"I feel like she's my sister. I always wanted one. I love my brothers, but they aren't great to talk to about certain things."

"I have a lot of sisters, so I can tell you they can be a mixed blessing. You're my client, so I will be there to support you, as requested."

Since I couldn't speak to Mrs. Beckham to get her views on things, I went to talk to my own mother. She was the wisest person I knew. I thought she could give me a suggestion on how to handle this tricky situation. She was, after all, the main inspiration for Carmella suggesting I start this whole solving problems business in the first place. She'd been helping people this way all my life, but doing it as a favor rather than for money. She was the expert. There was even a possibility that she knew Mrs. Beckham. Ladies from all different walks of life and neighborhoods frequented my mother's pie cart and not just for the pies. I caught a handsome cab to my childhood home.