A Fine Location

Miss Patterson was giving her performance in the small concert room above the Royal Standard Hotel not far from Buckingham Palace, a rather posh location for a young lady raised by a single mother. It seemed she was doing well in her professional life. I found Maggie on the way to work the next morning.

"Mrs. Hall, have you found anything out?" she asked.

"I certainly have. It seems you have a half-sister," I said, "but your father hasn't been unfaithful again. It turns out he and the woman he had an affair with had a child. He says it was the reason she approached him. I am going to her music recital this evening and I want you to come with me."

"What's her name?" Maggie asked.

"Mary Patterson."

"I've heard of her. A few of the girls at work managed to scrape the money together to get tickets. They said she's a wonderful pianist and singer." She stared into the distance. "I've always wanted a sister. It isn't easy having just five brothers. I don't have money for the ticket, though."

"Don't worry I've got that covered. Why don't you come to the house after you finish work? We'll make a night of it and you can make a fine first impression. I happen to have access to all sorts of dresses. My friend is involved with the theater."

She ran her hands on her worn skirt. "I'm not too proud to borrow a fancy dress. I'll be there at six."

I stopped by the theater where Freddy was rehearsing. "Freddy, I need to borrow some dresses. We need to help a young lady play the part."

"Does this have to do with your current case?" Freddy asked.

"Yes. You'll find out all about it tonight."

Freddy brought me to the costume mistress who picked out some dresses from my description of Maggie's size and shape. It would have been nice to have her measurements, but with the variety of dresses she gave me, one of them should fit well enough.

By 6:30 in the evening, Freddy, Maggie, and I had finished a quick dinner and Maggie had found a Blue silk dress that fit her quite well. Freddy had brought a selection of shoes as well, something I had forgotten. I lent Maggie one of Carmella's older coats to wear.

"Why can't I come?" Freddy asked.

"I was only able to get two tickets," I said. "Besides, I don't think Mr. Beckham wants a strange girl there when his two daughters meet each other for the first time."

"Did you tell him she's coming?" Freddy asked.

I flushed a little. "No, I'm sure he's nervous enough about me being at the concert, but I think Maggie needs to be there and she is my client after all."

Maggie smiled and spun around, letting the dress's skirt flow around her. Her eyes shone and she laughed. I guessed she never got to go to concerts or even dinner outside the home. This would be good for her and I hoped Mary Patterson would not be a disappointment.