Underground Activities

Maggie had decided I should arrive as Mr. and Mrs. Beckham finished their breakfast. Apparently her father had told her mother that his work was closed for the wedding of the owner, so he was spending the day at home. Maggie had convinced her mother not to run away to a hotel, pointing out that if the family was to be separated, they should save all the money they could. Especially since there was a possibility that one of them would get prosecuted by the authorities if the auction was raided. The auctions were an underground activity, and if one of the Beckham's neighbors decided to report them, one or both parties could be arrested for the illegal activity. It was a sign of Mrs. Beckham's distress that she was willing to take the chance.

Maggie's parents were sitting together at the kitchen table, not talking to each other. Maggie's siblings were all working or at school. Mr. Beckham drank coffee with his nose in the newspaper. Mrs. Beckham was nibbling on toast while reading a book. I had a feeling this was their normal morning routine, even before the current dilemma.

"Mother, I want to introduce Mrs. Dorothea Hall to you. She's Mrs. Smith's daughter," Maggie said.

Mrs. Beckham stood and smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, dear. I didn't know you two were friends."

I gave her my hand. "We met recently. My mother recommended that she come to me for help."

Mrs. Beckham glanced at her daughter. "Why would she need help?"

These two spouses had done enough beating around the bush. "She wants help dealing with this rift between you and your husband. Maggie wants to save your marriage. She hoped I could help you find your way back to common ground."

She glared at Maggie. "I don't appreciate her bringing a stranger into our family business."

"I understand, but I think my fresh perspective is going to be helpful at resolving your dispute with your husband."

At my nod, Maggie went to let in her sister. Mary was dressed modestly in a dark walking dress. It was quite similar to the working clothes worn by her sister. They had their hair styled the same way. I had suggested that they make themselves as much the same as possible. The fact that they were related would be obvious to anyone.

"I would like to introduce to you, Miss Mary Patterson, your husband's daughter and Maggie's sister," I said.