Friendly Expectations

I suppressed a sigh. He had dissembled when saying he was here to see Emory. It was really my supposed skills as a detective he wanted. I was not going to let him hook me into investigating something dangerous. I shared a look with Emory.

"My husband told me that Mr. Dabbs is rumored to have fled the country. I'm not sure I'm ready to take my investigations international. I speak a little bit of French, but that's it.," I said.

"Henry is in the same position. He never did well in school. He's not the type of fraud who could simply flee to the continent and disappear," Mr. Whitlock said.

"He might have taken a steamship to America," Emory said.

This option had only been a possibility since 1838. It was still rather expensive, although, if Dabbs had managed to hold on to the money he had swindled from his generous friends, that might not be an issue. I supposed I could at least discover if he had taken a ship to the colonies.

"I don't think Henry would go aboard a steamship unless he could go first class," Mr. Whtilock said.

"If he did go first class, it shouldn't be too hard to find out," I said.

"I doubt he would use his own name, considering all the people presumably looking for him," Emory said.

"Do you have a photograph or drawing of your friend?" I asked.

Whitlock looked surprised, but then reached into his pocket. He pulled out a wrinkled photograph. It was of him as a young man and a handsome slightly older boy with him. They stood in front of a sailboat and Whitlock held a trophy.

"This is from when we won a sailing contest when we were both at Westminster School. Will this do?" he asked.

I decided I would have to change my plan slightly. I had thought of pretending to be Mrs. Dabbs looking for her wayward husband, but with only a five year old picture of the man, that didn't quite make sense. Instead I'd claim to be his sister, looking for her wayward sibling.

"I will put it to good use. Are you staying in town?" I asked.

"I'm at Brown's Hotel. My father told me I can't come home until I find Dabbs." Whitlock's whole body drooped.

"I'm going to do my best to assist you. I suggest you come and have dinner with us while you're here. We can discuss ways to find him and you won't have to spend money on hotel food."

"Thank you, Mrs. Hall. I will take you up on your offer, as long as Emory doesn't object."

Emory reached over and slapped him on the shoulder. "Of course not, old man. It will be great to have another man at dinner."