1. Irresponsible move

New York, what a city to see with your own eyes.

An opportunity I took into my own hands, applying for the Eastlaird University. Quite a big step considering that it was done without a fully detailed plan. Just go with the flow I thought, not being aware how much trouble I caused myself in the process didn't even cross my mind.

Mind you, I got in.

However, the price was gigantic.
Starting with the trip by plane from Europe to America. Don't know who oversaw my luggage, but someone seem to be richer on my stuff than I was. So wearing my current clothes will have to do right now. Thankfully, I had all valuable stuff for uni in my backpack.

Next off, the flat I rented.

It was a dump. The wind flew through me the moment the door was open. Cracks in every wall, competing with another who got the biggest.

CRACK!

Or will be the biggest in time. I fear I wont live that long to find out, scared it might collapse on me while I sleep. But it will have to do for now. Afterall, it was the only affordable one for my wallet.

Getting a job to keep this dumb was next on my list.

After several waitress jobs got turned down, I found one in Bro's Pizza, as a cleaner and help making pizzas. Especially when a certain order comes in where they must make around thirty pizzas in one go. Seriously, who eats so much pizza in such a short amount of time? This order was placed three times a week, these people should be round by now. And the pay was a little less than expected, keeping me up to the extend of survival. If it wasn't for free food at some nights, my stomach would have cried out for something.

My first day at university wasn't as easy as I imagined.

At least I didn't expect to make enemies on my first day. I got everything I need from the teachers before getting some cheap coffee. Unaware that the person behind me made me jump at the touch of my shoulder, spilling it all over his jacket. Embarrassed, I tried to wipe it off with a tissue, only to be scolded by his girlfriend to keep my hands of him. It turns out that he is the most popular guy in school, and I got his girlfriend on my throat.

First enemy mind.

Her boyfriend took it easy, offering me another cup. Thankfully I took it and left off to the library. Only to collide with a girl in a purple jacket, adding some extra colour to the purple. The boys behind her had to suppress there giggles.

"What the hell, you will pay for this!" An apology was useless, she was all ready to attack me with some robot they made, only for this device to fall flat to the ground, right at my feet.

"I told you to check the system!" she barked at one of the boys with glasses who happens to wear the same jacket. To my surprise that boy didn't take it to heart, offering me another cup. He was pleased that she got stained, considering that he gets the spill most of the time. So, there we go, my second enemy or should I say enemies?

Shortly after, another poor boy got my free drink for the third time, ruining another purple jacket.

Unlike the others, he was beyond furious. He scolded me big time. I couldn't see much from under his hoodie, but from his voice, he sounded very intellectual, throwing all sorts of fancy words in my way. I only understood half of it. Once stomped off I had hoped to get some help on the dehydration issue. But for my drink, I received none. I moaned lightly. So, I might have to get some tap water later on.

What a day.

In my first lesson I received a partner with more experience on uni life. My teacher advised me to be nice to her as she is a true new yorker and might be able to show me more of this city. Apparently they already knew about my unpopular reputation.

Thankfully, she is also on a project that we can do together. Although the minute she announced it, I was close to faint. She introduced herself as April O'Neil, almost shaking my hand off as a greeting, but that is far from the shock that she makes a project about chairs. 'The science of chairs' she calls it. I don't know if you can use the word 'boring' for this lesson, as this was far worse. Shredding my eraser was one hint on the lame presentation from Aprils project.

I shrugged at it, "...okay...so...what do we have next?"

I didn't mean to be rude to stop her in-between her speech, but I was close to jump out the window.

Her gaze went over her timetable, "We got biology next...we seem to be in the same class...care to team up again?"

Her sparkling eyes were too much for me to refuse, "...yeah?" Although I fear I might regret it. In my head I already prepared myself for the next toture of a lesson.

Our teacher was major strict, showing us a bunch of little turtles in a small glass box, "Take one turtle and inspect their shells, which species are they and write some notes on what you discovered." Some other classmates had another idea, taking scalpels from the cupboard and wanted to see what the turtle look from the inside. April told me that they done this last week with a dead frog, but this time...they are alive. Not on my watch! She helped me save the poor animal to become guineapigs.

Although, I might have taken it a step too far. Once the bell had rang, we headed out to the next lesson.

April eyed me with suspicion as I walked awkward, constantly moving my backpack, "What is wrong with you?"

Not looking at her I said, "Nothing"

"Seriously girl, what is in your bag?"

"I told you it is nothing"

"Whatever you got in there it is mine" The sound was very familiar, turning around to face the group with the jackets. From April I found out she who I spilled my drink on, was called Kendra, a member of the tech club, the purple dragons. She pulled my bag off my back and roamed through my stuff like she owns it. Pleased to see a laptop inside, her hands grabbed it firm...

"AH!!!!!!"

...only for her to throw the bag across the corridor. Her finger was bleeding badly, "What did you do?!"

Afraid of the consequences, I grabbed my bag with one hand and the other April's wrist. We heard Kendra shout threats towards us until we were out of sight. Hiding in the library, we sat in the last row of the room, breathing heavy.

"What's in that bag of yours Y/N?"

"Noth..."

"There is something that bites other fingers!"

Afraid I got out the thing she asked for, looking shocked, "You stole the turtles from the biology room?!"

"They got tortured what was I supposed to do?"

She clicked her tongue, "Tell the teacher about it, not putting them in your bag, that is just as cruel!"

"I only tried to save them"

"We have to get them back"

But from that direction Kendra and her team is coming towards us, "Or we give them to an animal shelter."

I nodded in agreement, "Plan B it is."