Chapter XVIII

"Wha..what?", you stuttered out. "You heard me, didn't you? Or were you so worried that you had to break up with your dear lover that you lost your ability to hear?", the doctor mocked you. "I said that I killed them", he repeated his sentence. You were stunned. You had no idea what to say. Was this man really this mental? Was he so insane that he really killed your spouse? All of this absolutely terrified you, maybe none of this would have happened if you had worn a little more layers that day.

"Why... did you..", those were the only words you could spit out of your mouth. Your whole body was shaking. The person you spent your whole life with.. was gone. You didn't like them romantically enough to consider them your lover, but it was still devastating to find out someone with whom you had spent the past 10 years living with was now dead, and killed by a man standing right next to you, who was currently serving you breakfast.

"Because I want to see you wreathe in pain, that's why", he responded with a malicious smile on his face, which revealed his sharp, shark-like teeth. Exactly when you thought your relationship with this Harbinger was improving, he decided to break these horrible news to you. You didn't cry, though, you just feared whether or not you're next.

He grabbed your chin and forced you to face him. "Well? Are you going to cry? Or are you trying to hold back those nasty tears of yours?", Dottore teased you, laughter following his sentence. You wanted to tell him the truth but you were scared. Only then did you realize, he had no moral compass, and would do things simply for doing them.

Your expression, however, was completely bland. You felt null, like an empty shell. These news didn't improve nor exacerbate your emotions, rather, they made them disappear. You didn't know how or why, but that last bit of hope you had in you disappeared. Perhaps it was because you knew that you had no choice but to stay with this madman, as you would have no other place to stay if he let you go. But one thing was certain;  the only reason you were emotionally attached to your now gone spouse was merely for financial reasons.