Chapter 2: Angel

Desperately the hands that claw me back into hell pursue pain,

Attempts to escape the never-ending torture were all made in vain,

The nightmarish trauma of reliving scars has subsided, becoming mundane,

Forever the beasts that haunt me will hunt and never be slain,

Through thick, thorned tendrils of darkness that keep me contained,

Somehow, light pierces the shadows lining beauty along the terrain,

Warmth, so kind and generous, I embrace it without complain,

When the mental palace fails somehow there's a hope to be sane,

Halo glowing, wings spread, eyes burning, not a trait that's inhumane,

With only a single touch a hole opened up that I cannot explain,

The feeling of freedom so rich and divine, something I must obtain,

But so out of reach this angel sits and my heart can't take the strain...

A poem by Levi Ackerman

"Levi, please put the pen down already!" Isabel complains beside her friend. "It's going to start soon and you're gonna miss the whole damn thing with your head stuck in your book," she folds her arms over her chest eyeing the quiet teen with annoyance at his lack of participation. Sighing at his train of thought now completely destroyed by Isabel's loud intruding voice, he closes his journal and slides the black-covered book back into his bag.

"Just be lucky I'm even here," Levi says and begins to let his eyes wander around the auditorium. They're seated at the very back with lines of black velvet chairs leading up to the stage. The platform itself is grand and big, bulky red curtains hang loosely along the sides with golden rope keeping the sheets tied up neatly. A spotlight is shining from above and the seating area is dully lit by lights attached to the walls. Levi feels the need to remind Isabel that this isn't his desired setting and that the only reason he is participating to see the auditions is for one person and one person only.

Eren is going to be auditioning soon and Levi is eager to see what the brat has locked inside of him. There's natural passion in Eren's heart and this gives him the perfect opportunity to express all that lies within. Normally the theatre would be lame and he would complain about how the dimly lit lights around him obscure his vision. Anything can happen in the dark and Levi prefers a nicely lit area where he can see all possible variables to plan ahead on what his next move will be. That is impossible to do when blinded by the darkness.

Despite this mindset, he still makes an effort to show up for Eren.

"You're mean, Levi. You're not even here to see your best friends try out!" Isabel huffs once more and Levi responds with a roll of his eyes.

"I'll still watch your shitty auditions. Pretty sure you're before Eren, anyway. Farlan's up next, isn't he?"

"Surprised you noticed," Isabel scoffs. Her eyes suddenly tear away from Levi's face to stare at the pen resting gently in his hand. Without hesitation, she flicks the pen out of his grip and Levi watches as his special writing tool is thrown away under one of the seats in front of him. When he faces his devious friend her tongue is poking out at Levi. She's brave, Levi has to admit. She's never afraid of the consequences when it comes to messing with Levi. The two share a hard glare before Levi pounces! Within a second he pulls her head down, grabbing her in a headlock and ruffling up her already messy hair. Complaints and cries for Levi to cease and desist are thrown as he holds her firmly in position. She's not getting out of this. If she is so daring to challenge Levi then she should accept her punishment with grace.