Chapter 14: Troubled

The end of the day is near and what a strange day it has been. Levi has been left in the dark and heavily baffled by the severe lack of friends he has seen all afternoon. He found his lunch break terribly lonely without much reason as to why. His usual acquaintances were unusually absent, and his standard classes shared with them were abnormally distraction-free. They skipped school, Levi realised by the time his afternoon class came to a close. 

That's not the only odd thing occurring today. There's also been a severe lack of Eren throughout the school day and he has been almost impossible to spot around the schoolyard, even through the corridors when transitioning between classes. It would have crossed his mind as strange if Levi wasn't more focused on the sudden attention he had gained from his surrounding peers. 

At first, he thought he was imagining things. He's felt eyes on his back ever since maths came to a close. He's already used to getting unwanted attention for his attitude and unkind disposition but these eyes trained on him feel abundantly different. 

Judgment is what he's used to. He wouldn't have had a problem if it was the usual nitpicking of his demeanour but it was nothing like that. This is what surprises him. If anything, the looks he has been receiving all day seem to be in awe. An odd fascination everyone has suddenly taken up with him. As far as abnormalities go, Levi doesn't recall having done something to attract unwanted attention. 

It wouldn't have bothered him as much if only their eyes weren't filled with pity. 

Those sorrowful eyes gaze upon him as if he's a washed-up kitten on the side of the road in the centre of a hurricane. It fills him with disgust mostly because he can't fathom the reason for it. Something is wrong and it keeps itching in his mind. 

He doesn't have something written on his back, does he? A quick swipe at his jacket proves that not to be the case. If not that, then is there anything on his face he's unaware of? No, nothing. He definitely doesn't smell bad, he made sure of that. He bathed once last night and again in the morning. He's heard nothing but the standard rumours of his bad-boy self and quite frankly those barely have any effect on the school anymore, dying out like last year's trends being swiftly replaced by new ones.

By the time the day comes to an end, Levi is feeling quite troubled. 

"Just what the hell is everyone staring at?" He finds himself mumbling under his breath in quiet discomfort by the time the bell signals the end of the day. It bothers him even more when he realises Isabel and Farlan isn't there to greet him at the gates to begin their usual routine of journeying home together. He catches a glimpse of Eren, very momentarily, and their brief eye contact is met with Eren turning his head away and refusing to look in his direction. This is even worse. Levi doesn't understand what has gotten into everyone. 

Everything seemed normal in their maths class. Eren even smiled at him in that dashing way he always does, never failing to make the butterflies in Levi's stomach soar high into the chaotic world of flutters and dizzying, but comfortable, nausea. He doesn't understand the quick reaction to break their stare. Nor does he understand why his face exploded in vibrant red. 

Then he sees it. 

So insignificant was that look and yet it played the most important part in all of this. Levi is sure, there is no mistaking it.

Eyes that mirror his own, just as dark with a tinge of vengeance colouring the irises. A glare so foul and disgusted that for a moment there's a lump of shame forming in the back of Levi's throat, although that's another thing he doesn't quite comprehend. What is there to be ashamed of? Obviously, there's his mother's passing, but Levi has accepted that her death is not on his shoulders. Eren helped him see that.