Chapter 17: Guilty

The smallest of drops can create the greatest splash,

The strongest of swordsmen can have the most critical weakness.

A tiny crack can demolish an entire structure,

The oldest of elders can have the youngest of spirits,

The tallest of them all can have the hardest of falls,

The sturdiest of hearts are made from the most fragile of glass,

Those who are the happiest, behind closed doors are the saddest,

One who is unfunny can find themselves laughing the hardest,

Hidden behind disassociation is a desire to be included,

Underneath a smile are the intricate stories of a lifelong eluded,

Where there is good, there is evil and where there is love there is hate,

Delicate trust, a guise easily masked with a grin to bait,

Strings made from gold become just as brittle when cut with the right tool,

Once a solid wall now crumbling away, the sands of a broken, blind fool.

A Poem by Levi Ackerman.

What to do... what to do... Eren has been staring out across the street for a while now. From his perch on the curb side he has been mindlessly watching as cars drive past, people cross roads and his friends around him trying their best to comprehend the gravity of the situation. The moment their meeting in the auditorium concluded all students were at a loss. Some were too stunned to continue the school day and declared themselves absent for the remainder. Only a small group of them had soldiered through the day, lost in their thoughts coupled with stress and anxiety and mistrust. So many of them didn't know how to cope, and the question of whether their fellow cast and crew mates were the vile beings who created this mess pondered on many minds.

All aside from Eren, who knew the person responsible, yet still equally as troubled as the rest.

"Who would have done such a thing like that?" Jean asks in disbelief from behind Eren, seated on a bench outside the ice cream store. This is one of the rare times Eren can tolerate Jean, even when he slurps loudly at his half eaten boysenberry ice cream. It is true what they say, tragedies bring people together.

Historia, who is seated beside him with Ymir on her left, shakes her head sadly. "It doesn't make any sense. No one in the team would think to destroy it. Everyone is so upset, I don't think any of us are capable of it." She sighs solemnly and seeks the comfort of Ymir who holds her close with a soft pat on her head. Mikasa and Armin look at one another trying to brainstorm names and persons who fit the destructive personality.

Levi's name comes up causing Eren to flinch. Subconsciously his hands make their way into the pockets of his hoodie. The cool metal of the pen twiddles around his fingers. The touch is almost therapeutic, but also a reminder of such horrors that swell inside his betrayed heart.