Chapter 9: Overcome

Like an athlete running towards their goal, countless hurdles they must avoid to claim the gold,

Am I supposed to follow in their steps and attempt to prove myself so bold?

Unlike those athletes, I'm swimming in shark-infested waters that leave me shivering cold,

While they compete to overcome their challenges, I'm stuck in a ghastly fold,

Time is running out and it's only seconds before the winner takes hold,

Yet I am still staring off into the distance at my prize trying to find the patience to succeed,

I never understood the meaning of beauty until he held my gaze to plant the seed.

From there it grew to admiration and my expectations it has decided to exceed,

I'm still trying to breach the walls that block my path and sadly it's not my expertise,

Each brick I scale and conquer a new one takes the lead,

One day I must surpass these ruins to fulfil the life I wish to take heed,

With those glorious emeralds helping to guide me, I pray I do so with ease,

However the everpresent shadow of the past leaves its mark and her tears shall forever bleed,

A poem by Levi Ackerman

Isabel tightens her entire face. She crunches up her features as her eyes stare at the screen in max concentration. One wrong move and it'd be all over. She wouldn't allow that to happen - she couldn't! Her entire lively hood was at stake! If she makes even a slight error she will be doomed forever by the hands of others. Her tongue hangs out through pursed lips as she furiously taps away at the screen, vigorously plotting her next move and executing it in hasty swipes. She gasps. That was a close one. Very nearly she could have lost it all, but her determination reins strong and superior to her enemies! This was her chance to prove she had something worth giving back to the world! Just a little more...

"No!" Isabel yells out in agony as her finger fumbles over the screen. Farlan howls out in laughter as the little man running in the phone makes a wrong turn and smacks into the wall. The enemy was close now. She could see them trying to catch up to her and her eyes squint as she tries to boost her focus. This was war. It was either her or the monkeys. The world wasn't big enough for the two of them.

"You missed an item," Farlan snorts watching over her shoulder.

"Piss off, maggot. I'm trying to win."

"Look at all those coins you're losing! Jesus, woman. You're never gonna win with that negligence."

"I will end you."

"Whoa! Look out!" Farlan waves his arms about frantically and accidentally moves the character on screen to the side. Isabel yelps out in agony as her character crashes and is overwhelmed by the swarm of ancient monkeys trying to reach her. Isabel cannot believe her eyes. She pans her head to the side and stares Farlan down with a fiery glare, her eyes picturing her friend being torn apart piece by piece. She was more than capable of destroying this man's life and the intent to do so now burned more ferociously than ever!

"Aww damn. Better luck next time, Bel," Farlan laughs unaware of the life-threatening danger he was in. Isabel was going to kill him. She was going to enjoy every second of it. "Well, I'm hungry now. Mind if I help myself?" Farlan casually reaches over to Isabel's food and picks at the open packet of chips resting at her side. The audacity!