Chapter 7: Stubborn Pleas

"Levi, tell me how you've been feeling lately."

"Fine."

"Just fine? Erwin tells me you've finished your prescription."

"I didn't have the time to get it refilled."

"I see... Has this had any effect since being off the medicine?"

"Trouble sleeping."

"Your mood?"

"..."

"Right. How has your appetite been?"

"I'm not very hungry."

"Levi, I'm going to need more information from you if I am to help you."

Levi sighs, his silence speaking more volumes than if he were to give his thoughts a voice. The good doctor Jaeger can see it on his face. Without even needing to hear what Levi has to say he already knows that his patient is struggling. Whether it be his hunched posture or the refusal to look into his doctor's eyes, Levi is withholding information about his general well-being and this concerns doctor Jaeger greatly. Even if Levi says he's fine, doctor Jaeger is also aware that it won't be long now until that dreaded day comes around, and his patient will be in need of assistance.

He readjusts the glasses slowly slipping off of the bridge of his nose and quickly writes down his notes. The constant fidgeting happening in the corner of his eyes is distracting, yet also a visual representation of how unsettled his patient is. Never has the other been seen smiling, although attending a medical clinic isn't necessarily something to be thrilled about. Especially when the need for such services is that of dark reasoning. Still, doctor Jaeger hums to himself, considering the mess of a man he saw last year there have been leaps and bounds to Levi's growth. At least now he's willing to talk about the incident - even if it is in partial wordings and vague responses.

His disliking for the enclosed environment has been noted since the first time Levi's friends brought him to doctor Jaeger's attention. Not only was he disinterested in speaking to someone over the matter, but the lack of self-help he gave himself was evident. Levi had no desire to seek help. He would be perfectly comfortable letting his life play out, even if his mental palace was consumed by the deep seeded sorrows that plagued his everyday life. He simply did not care what happened to him, which, to the good doctor, is a sign of resignation. The doctor does not believe he has even shared eye contact with the patient once ever since he took Levi under his care. But, that is to be expected given the scenario Levi saw himself in. Yet still, despite the vagueness in his answers today, somehow still, there's been even more progress since the last time they saw each other.

"I'm putting you on the same dose as last time," the man tells the student. "It shouldn't have any major side effects, but I want you to be cautious as your body may suffer a bit from the interruption in your regular intake. Start anew and see me in a week's time. As always, you're welcome to come sooner if you wish to discuss things or if any major flare-ups happen. You know I'm always here to talk to."

"Right," Levi nods curtly and without saying much more, accepts the new dosage of anti-depressants. He slips the paper bag into his school bag and the doctor notices a very clear indication of Levi's hesitance. Perhaps it was the way his hand shook in small tremors as it disappeared into the bag, or maybe the slow swallow he took as he uttered that singular word.

"Remember, I am your psychiatrist, you can tell me anything," The doctor tries to assure Levi, letting him know he's there for him. All the usual words the other has heard countless times before, yet has never heeded. But today doctor Jaeger is surprised when the shoulders of his patient sag in defeat and for once, out of all the sessions they've had together, Levi chooses to finally bring his inner thoughts out into the open.