17

Wei Wuxian was very surprised to hear that his lunch companions–as Xue Yang announced–were also there with Xie Lian. He didn't want to show that he–Wei Wuxian–wasn't able to handle his own people, especially to Lan Wangji.

He just didn't want to be pitied. By anyone. Although this was clearly not his fault.

But as the owner, he was the one who took responsibility for everything that happened inside of his establishment, and he blamed himself because he neglected his duty over something like… trashy romance novels.

Who was he to think that he could be the next Nora Roberts, or Danielle Steel? Or even Nicholas Sparks? To write those heartbreaking romances which made their readers cry and feel the protagonist's pain, and walked with them through their journey of redemption and love?

Definitely not his editor.

So instead of thinking about writing his next so-called blockbuster, he would think of a way to get out of this mess first. Because he remembered that they had a lot of bookings for weddings and parties in the next few months. And without the sous chef and their five senior chefs, there's only so much that he could do by himself, Shen Qingqiu, and the juniors.

Wei Wuxian steeled his resolve and he put a smile on his face before he talked to his hot neighbors.

"Well, Lan Zhan, I am really sorry for this sudden… development." He forced out a chuckle. "But it seems that my sous chef–Qiuqiu's actually–took off without a warning and he also took five of my senior chefs, leaving us and the juniors alone. We have to end our… lunch early, since we need to focus on the party that will be held…" Wei Wuxian checked his watch, "in around five hours, and we need to prepare immediately." Then he looked at Xie Lian with a knowing look, and Xie Lian nodded–understanding his signal.

"Boss, let's go back to the office and leave them alone to focus on work." Xie Lian tried to usher his boss, but Lan Wangji didn't budge. Instead he touched Wei Wuxian's hand softly, as if afraid that the latter would disappear if he exerted more force.

"Do you need anything? I want to help. We want to help. With anything. Just say the words." Lan Wangji looked at Wei Wuxian intensely with his golden eyes, and it was like he could see right through his soul, and found out about his fear of abandonment. And Lan Wangji squeezed his hand, as if to reassure that he was there, and he was not going anywhere.

Wei Wuxian was touched. He was in awe. He didn't realize that his boss, this… powerful, important, rich man, would've wanted to offer his help–and touched his heart at the same time.

Of course no matter how good his intention was, there's no way in hell he would let some inexperienced men come into his kitchen and do things inside, even if it's in the name of helping.

Sentiments didn't go really well with professionalism, and if anything, Wei Wuxian was a professional. But he still appreciated the offer, and was very grateful for it. So he decided to make light of the situation.

"Unless you could summon at least three chefs who are experienced in working fast and efficiently–without the chef's ego–out of thin air to help us with this… situation, then I really appreciate the thought but…" Wei Wuxian shrugged and left his words hanging and Lan Wangji nodded at Hua Cheng–who took out his phone and called someone.

"Be careful with what you wish for." Hua Cheng winked and soon he was being absorbed in the phone calls.

Wei Wuxian quirked his brow when he saw Lan Wangji smiled his most beautiful smile, and he suddenly had a premonition of seeing the man beside him when he woke up in the morning and when he went to sleep at night.

And he shook it off right away.

No time for dilly-dallying, Wei Wuxian.

"He Xuan, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng are on their way." Hua Cheng closed his phone and Lan Wangji nodded in approval.

Shen Qingqiu–who was listening from the side–gawked, when he heard the names.

"What do you mean He Xuan, Jiang Yanli and Jiang Cheng are on their way?" He looked so flustered, because he knew of them. "He Xuan from Nebulosite and the Jiang's siblings from Lotus Blossoms?"

The people that Shen Qingqiu mentioned were three of the most sought after young chefs that were under the employment of Cloud Recess, Inc.

Although many people–including the Jins–had tried to recruit them, they refused and went to work for Cloud Recess, Inc instead, because they were the ones that paid for their education and they had sworn their allegiance to their benefactors.

Shen Qingqiu admired their loyalty and also their skills. He went to eat at Nebulosite and Lotus Blossoms before, to see what the ruckus was all about, and he was blown away by their perfection on a plate. The food was great, the plating was fabulous, the ambience and the service were top notch, there's nothing he could complain about, overall.

Nebulosite was a renowned French-Asian fusion–in which he had tried their degustation menu–which was perfect to a T, while Lotus Blossoms was a traditional Chinese establishment–complete with their traditional menu for the Kings, and extraordinary building which looked like a palace–adding their exquisite traditional Chinese-style uniforms. And to make a reservation in both places, a normal person had to wait around three months–if you were lucky. He was lucky because one of his regulars invited him since they knew how much Shen Qingqiu was curious about the food.

"Yes, that's correct." Lan Wangji nodded. "Do you perhaps know them? If so, you should know their capability already."

"Know them? Ha, I wish!" Shen Qingqiu looked Lan Wangji in the eyes, and he was satisfied with what he saw. "But, aren't they too… high profile to do stuff like this? They should be having a building full of hungry people who pay exorbitant prices for their signature food since it's the lunch hour now." Shen Qingqiu looked at the clock on the wall.

"Let me worry about that." Lan Wangji waved his hand. "As long as I can be a help to you guys." And his eyes stopped at Wei Wuxian's, looking at him intensely and caused him to shiver from… excitement?

This was the first time anyone… treasured him as much as Lan Wangji did, and he didn't know what to make of it . But he could feel that his face was hot, his heart was beating faster, and he realized that he was blushing.

"Thank you." Wei Wuxian's voice was almost like a squeak. "I owe you one."

He was already emotional from the betrayal of his sous chef, and now this… this grand gesture, caused him to feel… something strange in the pit of his stomach. Like hundreds of butterflies ran amok inside, fluttering their wings with such force that made him hot all over.

Lan Wangji smiled, as he touched a runaway hair from Wei Wuxian's ponytail and tucked it back behind his ear before he leaned closer and whispered to him.

"And I will definitely collect."