36. Memories part 4

This was going to be the last of the memories that Tom was going to show his oldest as after that it was just easier to talk to him about what had happened after he had left England which wasn't much besides travelling and making Horcruxes and going insane and then attacking the Potter's and Harry 'killing' him and then his life in Hungry but that was about it and they had really talked about that and his 'adoptive' parents as he would like to call them as they taught him what he needed to know and it was then that he learnt that England was behind the times.

"Hey papa, what am I learning about tonight, oh and the twins aren't settling so dad says to hurry up as they are 'ganging up on him' or so he says, how can two eight month old children gang up on him I do not know" and he smiled to his papa.

"Well tonight we will... or should I say you will be learning about my time in Borgin and Burkes I was eighteen at the time so fresh out of Hogwarts" he smiled he liked his time at the dusty old book shop.

"We'll be seeing the memory of a house elf by the name of Hokey who was an elderly house elf at the time and I'm not sure if they are alive still but alas lets go and have a look..." they dived into the memory.

Memory:

Tom was enjoying working in the book store, he wanted to go for the DADA professor role but was turned now many times due to his inexperience and so went to get some experience in the wider world and so he started out in Borgin and Burkes as he could gain the information he wanted and then afterwards after he had saved enough money, even though it wasn't a lot, he would travel and gain enough experience and then head back to Hogwarts to get the DADA professor role he couldn't wait.

On his shift an elderly witch came in by the name of Hepzibah Smith came into the store with her elf by the name of Hokey,  Hepzibah was an immensely fat, vain, and a rich witch, Mr. Borgin would had sent Tom in, like he always did, in the hopes that he could convince her to part with her treasures ie her Goblin armour.

Tom would often bring Hepzibah flowers and had a vase on standby. Hepzibah, who enjoyed being doted on and charmed by the handsome Tom Riddle, decided to show Tom two of her most prized possessions. 

"Can you keep a secret, Tom? Will you promise you won't tell Mr Burke I've got it? He'd never let me rest if he knew I'd shown it to you, and I'm not selling, not to Burke, not to anyone!"

He nodded and waited for her to show him what she had to offer, he was like a deer in the headlights when he saw what she was showing him... no it couldn't be could it?

She first showed him Helga Hufflepuff's cup, a relic of Hogwarts founder Helga Hufflepuff Tom showed obvious interest in the object, though did not object as it was taken away and Hokey obediently brought another treasure Hepzibah wanted to show him: Slytherin's Locket.

Hepzibah revealed that she bought it from Mr Burke, for a hefty sum, who bought it from a "ragged-looking woman who seemed to have stolen it, but had no idea of its true value". 

Voldemort's eyes momentarily flashed scarlet, as he knew that the woman was his mother and that the locket was his birth right. Hepzibah took the locket back, and her foolish smile faltered for a moment when she momentarily glimpsed the red gleam of Voldemort's eyes. She then ordered Hokey to take the two objects away and lock them up again with the usual enchantments. 

End of memory.

"That was strange compared to the others that you've shown me"

"Yes because afterwards I managed to find her and claim by birth right but... it all went wrong I asked her about giving me the locket back and explained that I was the son of Merope Gaunt and that the locket belonged to me as it was a Gaunt heirloom but she didn't and out of anger...."

"You killed her didn't you?"

"Yes..." he felt so ashamed of himself after showing his own son what he had done.

"What is it with you and killing? I just don't understand you?! what are you doing to do with me and the twins?! will you kill us as well!"

"No no Hadrian I would never do that..."

"But you killed her over a stupid necklace!"

"Hadrian please understand that when you 'killed' me I ended up in Hungry and when they were able to put me back together so to speak they found many charms, hexes and potions on me which broke somewhat on that dreadful night and each one was keyed to Dumbles, he made me what I was, what I hated more than anything.... I hate myself for doing all of it even if I was under all that it was still me..." 

Out of the blue even though he had lost his temper somewhat Harry came over and hugged Tom tightly as he cried into his son's arms, the first time in how many years he finally let everything go... he was after all only human.

They spent hours like that but they had switched places and Harry even at sixteen needed a hug or two and they were found asleep by Minerva as Severus was still having trouble with the twins as they just wanted Tom but he wasn't there.

When she found them they were asleep and so for a bit of blackmail Severus could us on the pair she took a picture and sent it to Severus which she knew he would plus frame it so then everyone could see it.

Severus had managed to get the twins to sleep just as a photograph came floating into the room and when he saw it it brought a smile to his face, he copied the picture many times and hid them away from the pair and placed one into a frame and put it on the mantle piece show casing it to everyone.