Sequel - Prologue

The crackling of the fireplace echoes through the house. The chiming grandfather clock in the hallway rings and glancing over, it says 6 o'clock. Sighing, a brunette witch turns back to the book she holds in her hands.

"You should be in bed Hermione." The witch also known as Hermione turns to the staircase leading to the boy's rooms.

"I know Ron but I can't help but think of where Harry is. It has been a year of missing school and I fear the dark lord got him." Hermione looks at the fireplace, worried about where Harry is.

"He made his choice Hermione to run off with that werewolf. It is his mistake if he gets killed not ours." Ron sits beside her.

"How can you say that? Harry is our friend and if you had been a bit more welcoming to Harry's girlfriend we wouldn't be here worrying. It is your fault Ron that Harry has left with the werewolf." Hermione stands not wanting to have the boy's arm over her shoulders.

Things in Hogwarts have changed. Not for the better in any case. Ron has changed the most becoming an arrogant idiot and stepping into being the boy wonder instead of Harry. Ron has also made more moves on Hermione wanting her at his side. Harry being gone, Hermione has only Ron to look out for and that is how the boy likes it. 

"Harry has already left us the moment he dated that werewolf. He is gone and turned his back when he joined the dark side. You saw his red eyes, Hermione, he is a demon and no longer a friend."

"I don't believe that. Harry would never join the man that killed his parents. I still can't believe he couldn't be found. Poor Hagrid had to go through so much." Hermione wraps her arms around herself.

Hagrid was the sole person that knew where Harry and the werewolf have gone and the minister took a drastic move by using torture spells to spit the info out from the kind giant. Hagrid changed after the ordeal and remained quiet. The only time you would see him is at the train station and occasionally at Halloween or other events. He has detached himself from the school and even Dumbledore hasn't made much effort in keeping Hagrid around.

The thought of Dumbledore made Hermione queasy. Dumbledore has harped on Ron and Hermione to follow in protecting the school without Harry who in his words, abandoned his role as savior of the world. Dumbledore continued on being a wise and elderly headmaster but soft small darkness can be seen sometimes in the day.

"Let's forget about that traitor. C'mon it is breakfast anyway." Ron stands and leads Hermione out of the common room and to the great hall. Dumbledore is already at the head table with a few other teachers. Ron makes a subtle nod at the headmaster and he nods back. Sitting at the same place at the Gryffindor table, a goblet appears before the two. "Drink Hermione, it will ease your worries."

Hermione reaches for her goblet, unknowing of the potion inside it made by Ron and the headmaster to keep her loyal to the two and not run after Harry. Hermione sighs setting the goblet down without taking a sip. Her mind still buzzing with worry and no amount of pumpkin juice will help.

"I just hope Harry isn't dead." Ron has to expertly hide the annoyance of Hermione not drinking the goblet.

"He can handle himself with his whore of a mutt. C'mon Hermione, drink some pumpkin juice, it will help you. It always helps me." Ron encourages the witch to drink the potion by drinking his own drink potionless.

"I would prefer eating first Ron." Hermione grabs some food as more students enter the hall.

Hermione's body is tense due to the forceful nature of Ron. Why would he be pushing for her to drink the juice? Hermione knows Ron is only trying to help her and her stressful worry. She can't stop the voice in the back of her head though from saying to not drink the goblet. Cutting into her waffles, Hermione eats silently and lifts an eyebrow at Ron for not starting to eat.

"Are you not going to eat Ron? You usually are the first to always eat." Ron pretends to snap out of his daze even though he tried using a wandless spell to compel Hermione to drink the goblet.

"Sorry, lost in thought." Ron picks his own meal. "What classes do we have today?"

Ron hates going off topic but perhaps making her talk a lot will get her thirsty and she will drink the potion. He glances back at Dumbledore and he nods in encouragement before talking to Minerva. 

"We have..um...transfiguration. potions twice and then defense against the dark arts before lunch." Hermione looks around the great hall still having the feeling of running. why is she nervous? She got nothing to be nervous about. She is safe in Hogwarts with her friends. Except for Harry who is not here anymore.

"Here Hermione, I promise you it will help." Handing the goblet to Hermione Ron coaxes her to drink almost at his last string of patience.

Hermione sighs and picks up the goblet. Holding the cool gold metal in her left hand, she looks into the cup. Her reflection stares back at her and she sees how tired she has become. Her worry for Harry takes most of her time and energy. Bags under her eyes, her grades lowering but not much that she is not receiving passing marks. 

"I wouldn't drink it." A deep voice pulls Hermione from looking into her goblet to the hooded figure beside her. 

"Why not?" Hermione looks at Ron and he is eating. 

"Smell it." Hermione hesitates for a second but does so. Normal pumpkin juice like always. Wait! that odd odor...what is that? "Your goblet is laced with a potion to compel you to do things without your knowledge."

the witch eyes the person beside her. Who is he? the deep voice in their tone informs her that a mysterious person is a man. She reaches for his hood but he shakes his head.

"I wouldn't do that."

"Why? Who are you?"

"A friend you can say. Take my goblet to save yourself." Hermione grabs the goblet from the gloved hand and the man takes her potioned goblet. Hermione drinks the safe liquid and sighs feeling her stress and worry fade.

"How do I know you didn't put a potion in this goblet?" Hermione asks putting down her goblet.

"You wouldn't have immediately drank from it if it wasn't meddled with." the figure stood up and walked out of the great hall. 

Hermione raises an eyebrow watching the figure leave. Who is that? Deep within she feels like she knows him but who? Resuming to eat, she pushes the stranger to the back of her mind. She will search for him later.

~~~~~~~~~

"Did she drink it?" Another figure meets with the mystery male by Hagrid's house.

"She did. all you need to do now is chant the spell." The second figure nods and mutters the spell to surround Hermione with a shield. A small whistling echo reaches their ears and a small pink spark in the laced goblet the male brought appears.

"Done. How did we not see this?" A female once calm voice turn stressed with worry. "Dumbledore has pushed his advances and now is compelling the school some more."

"Don't worry, everything will go as planned." The two hooded figures stand side by side looking up at the place they once called home.