5. turn right

. hour one .

The silence between George and I was awkward and palpable.

Within the first five minutes, I put music on to allow some sort of sound flow through the car. When it started to play, George just fixed his sweatshirt sleeve and continued to be on his phone. I stared at the road in front of me.

We stayed like that for the first half an hour, then George sat up a little straighter in his seat.

"Can I see the GPS?" he asks.

I turn my head slightly to look at him. "Do you think I'm trying to kidnap you or something?"

He shrugs. "I mean, you never know, right?"

"It's on my phone," I say. My head tilts to my phone. "Right there."

"Does your phone have a password?" he asks; his hand overs over the device.

I nod as he picks it up. He turns it on, then places the screen in front of my face for half a second. I take a deep breath as George looks back at the screen.

"You're very trusting," he inquires as he clicks away.

I glance to make sure he's just on maps, then look back onto the road. "Well, I have nothing to hide," I say casually.

He squints his eyes towards me. "Everyone has something to hide."

"Well what if it's not hidden," I counter, "I'm just the only one who's figured it out."

"You're confusing." He turns back to my phone.

"What are you doing?" I ask. He's had my phone longer than I would particularly like.

"I'm just checking the address," he says, "Relax."

"It's set to our first hotel," I explain, "You're going to have to find your own room by the way."

He shrugs. "Dream's paying."

"Oh, he sure is," I hum.

George sets my phone down. "Okay, we're going to take a right at this light."

My brows furrow. "What? I thought we went straight for a while."

"No, we need to turn right."

I shake my head. "No, we're almost out of the state by the time we have to actually turn," I say, "I checked, and we shouldn't be hitting the state line within thirty minutes, George."

"Would you just trust me?" he asks.

"No, I absolutely do not trust you, George." I huff. "Why am I turning right?"

"Just turn right." He gestures his hand quickly to the oncoming right turn.

"I'm not blindly following you." I keep going forward.

"Well, maybe you should."

"But I checked the map before we left, and I know that don't turn until we're almost at the state line," I repeat myself.

"y/n."

"And we won't hit the state line for quite some time."

"y/n," he says more sternly this time.

"George," I copy him.

"Look, it's right there." He's pointing rather aggressively to the right turn lane now.

"I see that." I nod. "But look, I'm in the lane to go straight like I have for the past half an hour."

"y/n–" George is begging now.