16. the nightmare

The rain's picked up since we've gotten into the room. I can hear it from outside our window as a constant patter. The curtain to our motel room is slightly open, allowing a slip of moonlight to spill into the room. My eyes scan the line over and over again, listening to the rainfall.

The area on the floor where George's bed lays is dark, and I can't tell if he's actually asleep or not.

The AC unit turned on at some point. A low mumble echoes through the room. I put my hands between my legs for warmth since my thin blanket wasn't enough to protect me. I wonder how frozen George is from sleeping right in front of it.

"y/n," George whispers.

My skin prickles up my arms from the sudden noise.

I continue staring at the patch of moonlight. "What?"

"Why aren't you sleeping?" George asks.

I shift my hands together. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You haven't closed your eyes except to blink," he comments.

"Stop watching me, you creep." I ensure my whisper carries my annoyance.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" he repeats his original question.

"I can't sleep," I say, my voice hushed.

I hear his blankets rustle as if he's facing the ceiling now. "Well, why can't you sleep?"

I swallow once, realizing I could lie here to get out of the conversation. I could flip over to my other side and pretend to sleep there.

I follow his lead and shift to watch the ceiling. "Because I won't," I admit.

"Well." George chuckles lightly. "That was a specific answer."

"You're the one who asked."

It's quiet for a moment until George decides to slowly stand up; his blanket still wrapped around his shoulders. He takes two drudging steps towards the bed before nudging my shoulder.

"What?" I ask in a harsh whisper.

"Scooch over," he says, "If we're going to talk, then I'd like to be slightly comfortable."

"No offense, but I don't really want to talk to you," I say pointedly, allowing my voice to be a level over a whisper now.

"Well, I'm all you got right now," he says. He doesn't even wait for me to respond before going towards the end of the bed and crawling over my feet.

"Ow, George." I move my feet out from under him.

He moves to sit next to me, fussing with his blanket to be perfectly wrapped around his legs. I sit up slightly, realizing he's actually being serious about talking to each other.

Except George and I don't usually talk. We argue. We fight. Then I drive and he goes on his phone. We don't talk outside of that. But he's right, I can't sleep, and he's all I got.

"Okay," he says once he's all settled, "why won't you sleep?"

I cross my arms over my chest, but George continues to watch me, determined to learn more. "Because I don't want to," I reply stubbornly.

"Should I start guessing?" he jokes, not taking my answer.

I shake my head immediately. "It's not a big deal; it's really fine."

"Well, obviously it's keeping you up." George crosses his arms as well, but I think his reasoning is more from the chilly room.

I glance up at him. I can just make out the outline of his eyes in the dark lighting. His complete attention is on me at the moment.