11. i spy

. hour seventeen .

"Ugh." George all but slams his phone into his thigh. "You're joking."

Usually I would ignore him, focus on something else other than whatever his overdramatic self, but all that's in front of me is a set of tail lights on the car in front of me. Nothing is quite exciting at this moment.

I don't even have to ask. George holds a black screen up to my face. I swerve out of the way to focus on the road again.

"Look at this," George says, still holding the phone up, "My phone died."

"Probably because you've been on it for" –I check the map screen on the car now that we've connected it to my phone– "almost five hours straight."

"Usually it lasts longer than that." George reaches for my phone to unplug it from the charger.

I swat his hand away. "What are you doing?"

"I need to charge my phone," George says like it's obvious, "There's only one charger."

"Yeah, and my phones connected to it." I wave my hand to the car's screen displaying the map for emphasis.

"It's been like that for five hours," George uses my own words against me, "It should be charged."

"If you unplug my phone then we won't have a map," I remind him, "and I'm not in the mood to get lost."

George's brows furrow like there's a point being missed. "We can pull it up on my phone while it charges."

"But it won't turn on for a couple minutes," I point out, "What do we do for that time, hm?"

George scoffs. He puts his face close to the car's screen and squints. His head taps one of my hands resting on the steering wheel, and I use it to push him away from my side of the car.

"We're not turning for another eighty-eight miles," George reports to me, "I think we'll be fine."

"You'll be fine without your phone." I focus my eyes on the car in front of me. I notice more exits are coming up on the interstates, and I wonder if George would be okay with stopping to eat at one of them. "I haven't used my phone all day."

"That's because you're driving, idiot." George plops back into his seat.

"You're acting like a six year old."

"You're acting like you were born in the sixties," George says, "You're like an old person commenting on technology."

My jaw drops. "You take that back."

"I will not."

"You probably couldn't even go this long without your phone," I challenge, "You haven't put it down this entire trip, and we're not even halfway there yet."

"What else am I supposed to do?" George sits up straight and stares out the windows. "There's nothing but trees and some signs." He turns to me for a second. "We should stop to get food soon actually."

"Okay," I say quietly. I'm actually thankful he said that, but I would never let him know.

George stares out the window for a while, and the car gets a little quieter. It's weird now even though I haven't changed what I was doing at all. Just the mere fact of knowing George is just looking at the same path as me and thinking about it makes me feel slightly awkward. I almost want him to go back to watching movies.

"Wait, y/n." George taps my arms quickly and then goes back to the window, "I spy with my little eye something blue."

My face scrunches. "What?"