8. the dream

After having barely any conversation for the past twelve hours, I am still exhausted, but I have never been more excited to see a hotel in my entire life.

"You're sleeping on the curb if there's no open rooms," I warn George as we wheel our suitcases into the hotel lobby.

We couldn't pull the website up earlier to actually book his room, so we're leaving it up to fate to have separate rooms.

"Dream likes me more," George reminds me while we're walking in, "He'd want me to have a room."

My eyes narrow towards the brunette. "Well, he's not here is he?"

He shoots me a look before smiling at the concierge, ready to ask about the extra room. I envy him for a moment. He seems to have a way with people. First the worker at the burger place, now the concierge. They both smiled, willing to help the best they can.

Even then, George taps his fingers on the desk while we wait several minutes as the man types on the computer. We hold our breaths when he mutters a small, "Alright."

The man taps the desk once and smiles at George. "Looks like we do have a room for you."

George and I exhale, grateful to not be stuck with each other any longer.

"Perfect," George says before turning his body halfway towards me, "and then you have to actually check in as well."

"I can do it myself," I whisper quietly so that only George can hear.

He puts his hands in the air and takes a step back. "Then the floor's yours," he says.

I fight the urge to roll my eyes towards George while checking in. Again, the man takes his time, but I'm not as anxious about it now. As long as I can have a room and time to myself, I'll be happy.

"What's your room?" George asks when we walk away from the front desk.

"312." I fix the way my backpack sits on my shoulders. "You?"

"426." George hits the up button on the elevator.

"Alright, then I'll meet you in the lobby tomorrow morning?" I glance towards him, realizing this is the longest time we've been standing all day.

He sighs. "Yeah, what time?"

We both get onto the elevator; it smells like an old lady died in here. I press buttons for floors three and four.

"We need to leave by at least eight to make it to the next hotel in a reasonable amount of time," I explain, "so I say 7:45."

"You don't think I can get there on time at eight?" George's brows furrow.

"I may not have known you can't drive" –the elevator starts to move– "but I have heard the sleeping problems with you."

"I can get there at 7:55."

"You sure?" I raise my brows.

George's jaw drops in my lack of faith. "Come on, have a little trust in me, y/n."

"Okay." I pull out my phone. "What's your number, just in case?"

He shakes his head. "I'll be there."

"Seriously?" The elevator doors open to my floor.

George gestures his arms towards the hallway. "Trust me."

I sigh and step off the elevator. After this first day together, I don't trust George to get there on time at all.

"Goodnight," George says cheerfully as the doors begin to shut.

I roll my suitcases down the hall to my room.

The first thing I do once I get to my room is shower. Then, I set my alarm, hoping George is doing the same thing, and I put on some cartoons.

Instead of looking at the TV, I find myself staring at the ceiling.

Twelve hours down, twenty-four more to go.

O O O

"y/n," George says softly to me.

"What?" My hands are rested on the car's steering wheel, but the car is currently in park.

"I have to go," George says, "Remember?"

"No?" My brows furrow. "Where are you going?"

George shakes his head with a smile, opening his car door before shutting it. I duck my head slightly to see out of it, but my view's blocked.

I attempt to open my car door as well, but the doors locked. I search for the button, finding it in the middle of the steering wheel and unlock the car doors.

George is already walking across a large parking lot when I get out of the car. I walk after him, squinting at an ominous figure behind the fog, but my legs stay stuck in place.

Two adults, hand in hand, walk across the lot. Everything is still except for a buzzing in the floor.

"George, wait," I call out after him.

He waves his hand in the air as a goodbye. The movement evaporates the fog, revealing a large airplane. The couple gets onto the plane; one of the men knocks on the airplane four times before boarding.

"George, don't do it," I whisper. He stops walking for a moment, shakes his head–

And I gasp.

My breath is shallow. It smells like a cheap air freshener that needs to be replaced. My eyes stay tightly shut, and my fingers cling to the fabrics around me.

Don't get on it, I plead, Stay here.

"New construction near the highway will possibly need to be postponed due to a st–" The voice on the TV is almost static, but it's enough for me to open my eyes.

The hotel room is still dark besides the low light of the TV. The sheets are slightly damp from sweat.

It was just the dream, y/n. I take a deep breath. It wasn't really happening.

I glance at the clock. 4:39.

I sigh, clicking on the side table light. It illuminates the beige walls above my head.

My bare feet cross the floor to the bathroom. I splash my face with water. The cold sends a shiver down my back, but I appreciate it right now. I leave the light on in the bathroom, ignoring the reflection in the mirror. I've learned that avoiding it is sometimes best.

I turn the overhead light on as well before crawling back into the hotel bed. I turn the TV off, wanting to just be by myself right now. I don't need someone else telling me what's wrong with the world; I'm figuring that out just fine on my own at this very moment.

I pull the blankets up to my chin, and I stare at the bumps along the ceiling. It makes me feel safe; nothing can get me here in this brightly-lit room. Nobody else is around to even do it.

author's note:

hope you guys are having an amazing day <3