13. problems

. hour 19 .

The road we're driving on is quite bumpy. Every couple miles, the car feels like we do a complete roll and almost drive off the road.

The sky seems to be almost all clouds now; no blue to be seen at all. George and I haven't spoken since McDonalds, but he chooses to break the silence.

"Why are you driving so slow?" he asks.

I check the speedometer. "I'm going the speed limit."

"It doesn't feel like it." George peeks out the window as if that'll show our car's protectory.

"Then I don't know what to tell you."

A light pops up on the dashboard, and it's almost comedic timing. I recognize it for saying the car's at a low tire pressure. I chew the inside of my cheek, trying to figure out what I could do to fix it.

George, oblivious to the warning light, crosses his arms, choosing to not go back on his phone as he was before. He stares out the front windshield. I don't want to tell him we might have to pull over at the next exit for car troubles.

I glance at the map displayed on the car's screen. We have five hours till our next hotel, and George has already called to get himself his own hotel room.

"The road just doesn't look as bumpy as it feels," George says again, "Is everything okay?"

I swallow once, knowing I could tell him everything might not be okay right now. I'm about to say everything's fine, but then I realize he's going to know when we turn off the interstate.

Where is the next exit? I ask myself, It has to be close.

"I'm not sure what's going on," I lie, "but maybe we should stop at the next exit to check?"

George shrugs. "If you think that's best."

I feel relieved he doesn't ask anymore questions. He picks up my phone, placing it in front of my face to unlock it. He scrolls across the map in search for the next exit. He lets out a hum as he searches.

I glance at the tire pressure light again.

"There's not an exit for a really long time," George says.

I sigh. "That's fine; it'll be okay for a little bit."

We continue driving in silence once again. My heart pounds with the light's warning, and I just hope it can last just a little bit longer.

It takes thirty minutes before the car hits a hard 'bump', and it doesn't seem to stop.

"What the hell?" George once again searches for answers through the window.

I see the sign saying the exit is in one mile. It's so close, but I don't think we'd make it with the way the tires are thumping along the interstate.

I let out a long sigh of defeat. I change lanes to be in the far right, then pull off onto the side of the road.

"What are you doing?" George asks.

"We have a flat tire, George." I click the hazard lights on before getting out of the car. I take a walk around the vehicle before stopping in front of the tire  culprit.

George comes around the car to see as I'm pulling out my phone. "You knew it was flat?" George asks.

"The light came on." I shrug. "But I thought I'd have more time to get to the next exit."

I search for a RoadSide Assistance number. I know I saved it somewhere just in case anything ever happened.

"Why didn't you tell me?" George bends next to the tire, squinting his eyes to find the cause.