24. room 404

. hour thirty-one .

The hotel couldn't have felt any longer. My mind keeps focusing on the fact that I only have five hours to drive tomorrow and then I'm finally there in Florida.

We're going to be getting there while everyone else is already at the first day of Disney parks, but George and I decided that it'll be okay. We'll get to be there for the second day, and that's enough for us.

I let George handle the hotel's front desk. It feels weird just standing there with nothing to do. The concierge hands him two separate room keys.

George types a number into his note's app before handing me the key. "y/n is in room 404," he says.

"Thank you." I accept the key card while walking across the lobby with him. "What room are you in?"

We stop in front of the elevators. George presses the up button, and something whirls behind the elevator door.

"Room 403," he replies.

I laugh, glancing at my key again. "You want to switch?"

George's head snaps up to meet my eyes. "You can't just switch hotel rooms."

"Why not?" I shrug. "404 is your number, right?"

"Yeah, but that room is associated with your name," he explains, "and mine is attached to 403."

The elevator doors open, and we walk right in. He stands on one side while I stand on the other, pressing the fourth floor button for us both.

"Then you pretend to be me for the night." I hold the key out to him once again.

His face immediately contorts. "I'd rather die," he says, "Plus, I think that's identity theft."

"It's only illegal if you get caught, George," I try my best to reassure him. "Just take the room."

His hand hesitates over the key card, then his eyes cut to me. "If my visa gets taken away because you wanted to switch hotel rooms–"

"I'll take full credit," I promise him, "I'll tell the cops that I just needed to be GeorgeNotFound for a night."

"Don't make it weird, y/n." George shakes his head.

"I can start a make-a-wish." My hand moves towards my back pocket. "That'll make it more realistic."

He smiles finally and takes the card from my hand. "Just shut up, please."

"Only because you asked nicely." I take the room 403 card from his hand.

The doors slide open, and we both walk out. It takes a couple steps for me to find my room off the floor. I stand in front of my door until George gets to his own.

He looks at me before unlocking the door to what is technically my room. His smile is mischievous. "Goodnight, y/n."

I can't help but smile back at him. "Night, George."

This hotel is ten times better than the motel we stayed at last night. Not only do I get the room all to myself, but there's no smell of noodle bowls lingering in the air.

I go through a short routine to get to bed. Change my clothes, wash my face. When I finish, I stare around the room.

I turn the heat up just a tad, hoping to not get frost bite from how cold the room is. The first thing I noticed when I got out of the car was how humid the air was. It was like a presence engulfing us. I cut my hand through the air as if I could feel it. George had looked at me and nodded in agreement.

I bury myself in the covers before pressing the little button above the side table to turn all the lights out. I hear cars drive past the window, and it brings me a little peace that the room isn't completely quiet.

I avoid looking at the wall with the TV hanging on it, knowing George is on the other side. I stare at the moonlit slit through the window's curtain. I follow the line from the top of the ceiling all the way down to the floor. Then, I do it again. And again.

Eventually I sit up and sigh. I press the button to turn the side lamp on, and I reach for the TV remote. I won't be able to sleep tonight if it's too quiet around me.

The TV plays in the background with a weather channel. I allow my mind to wander once they say there's no storms coming our way.

I remember how easy it was to fall back asleep when George was there a couple nights ago. He let me talk without pushing me. He was there when I needed him, and everything was a little less lonely.

My eyes stare at the shadow on the wall, created by the lamp next to me. My method's always worked well enough to help me sleep, but right now I think I liked George's way a little better.

author's note:

there's only like two more driving chapters and i have never been happier lmao

have an amazing day :)