6. wake up

. hour five .

George's head leans against the window, causing his hair to fall in front of his face. He's moved a couple times so that his own hands make a pillow. He's been like this for the past hour and a half.

It's actually the most peaceful and least-annoyed I've seen him since we started this trip.

I envy him for a moment. It's only five hours in, and I'm wishing I got more sleep last night. My eyes droop as I think of the next seven hours, then the twenty-four after that. This is going to be a long time for me to stay awake.

My eyes flit to the sleeping George once more before my hand spins the volume dial, turning it as loud as it will go.

George wakes up with a start. "What the hell, y/n?" he mumbles, extending his hand to turn the sound back down. "Why would you do that?"

"If I have to be awake," I say, "then you have to be awake too."

"That doesn't even make sense." George crosses his arms. "I need my sleep."

My hand reaches for my phone, unlocks it, and hands it to him. "Here. You can be in charge of directions."

"We're going straight for a very long time," George's voice is monotone.

My brain flashes back to the right turn debacle, and I grab my phone back. "Nevermind, I don't trust you."

"Then why do I have to stay awake?" He raises his arms just to drop them in his lap.

"Because you have to keep me awake, George."

He leans closer to me, squinting; his breath tickles my arm. "You seem to be awake," he says in a low voice.

I use my hand to push him back to the other side of the car. "Would you shut up?"

"Apparently, I'm not supposed to," he counters, "How else will you stay awake?"

"I hate you."

He smiles. "The feeling's mutual."

We're quiet for a minute. I keep my eyes focused on the road in front of me, watching the trees go by quickly.

George changes to a more comfortable position, then he fixes the volume to his liking before letting out a sigh. I don't pay any attention to it; the road in front of me is far more interesting.

He checks his phone for notifications, then sets it down.

"I'm bored," he finally says.

I roll my eyes. Not only am I chauffeuring George across the country, now I have to keep him entertained?

"Do you think we should.. " I fade off, not even wanting to suggest this. "Like get to know each other?"

George lifts his head to the window in front of him and thinks about it for a moment. My heart rate quickens in those few seconds.

"No," he says before picking up his phone, "We should not."

I let out a loud huff. "You're the one who said you were bored."

"You're the one who wouldn't let me sleep." He sets his phone back down again.

"You're the one who can't drive."

"Oh my god." He tilts his head back. "Not this again."

"I'm just saying," I defend, "That's something you tell someone before they agree to go on a cross-country trip with you."

"I thought it was common knowledge." George throws his hands in the air.

"Well believe it or not, George," I say, "not everyone is obsessed with you."