16~ REMUS

With trembling hands, Brooke knocked on the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom door and turned to look at Belle, who appeared to be giving her an encouraging nod, before disappearing out of view

"Come in," a faint voice was heard as Brooke sheepishly pushed through the more than usual-heavy door of the classroom.

Brooke let out a heavy sigh and walked into the classroom.

The classroom looked like it was actually being put to good use, considering that the last two Defence Against the Dark Arts Professors were good for nothing.

Brooke's eyes trailed off to find a mess of brown hair which was sipping on the solution Snape had handed him a few minutes ago while being invested in a research paper.

"Brother Remus..." Brooke managed to speak up, as Remus' scar-ridden face jerked towards the blonde, so as to force himself to believe that his best friend's sister actually came around.

"Brooke..." Remus exclaimed as he stood up from his desk, walked over to Brooke, and wrapped her in a brotherly hug.

Brooke didn't know why but she was blinded as soon as a tear left her eye. The tears never stopped rolling down her cheeks and before she knew it, she was breaking down, covering Remus' patched robes with her snot and tears.

"Why?" Brooke exclaimed, crying loudly.

"Why did you abandon me?" Brooke yelled, her throat growing sore.

"I didn't have a choice, fawn," Brooke said, as Brooke's cries grew louder at the mention of the name the marauders had chosen for her.

"I wrote to you every month, after the full moon," Brooke exclaimed. "I was about to go to the ministry and get an investigation done for you."

"I'm sorry, Brooke. I really am. Dumbledore told me it was safe for you, me, and Harry-" Remus stated.

"DUMBLEDORE HAS NO RIGHT TO TELL ME WHAT'S GOOD FOR ME," Brooke cut Remus off, realizing that she should've known that since Dumbledore left Harry with the Dursleys and took Brooke to the Weasleys.

"I get what you're trying to say, fawn. But if there's something that you should know about Dumbledore, it's that he does things for a reason," Remus said, rubbing Brooke's back.

"BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" Brooke yelled and frantically stood up.

"First, mum and dad left me when I was seven. Carina left me. Then two years later, brother James and Lily left me. And Dumbledore took Harry away as well. Then Sirius, Peter, and you left me. And now, even Charlie left! Why has this pattern reemerged now?!" Brooke vented, as Remus visibly gulped, wiping his tears.

"I'm sorry, fawn. I didn't want to leave you. But you know my condition. I'm covered in poverty and I'm a monster! I wouldn't have been a good brother to you-" Remus started confessing, as Brooke cut him off again. "That's something that I get to decide, Remus! I'm loaded with fortune, enough for the two of us to last a lifetime! And yes, I could've bought wolfsbane for you every month from Knockturn Alley. I've been there with James and dad plenty of times!"Brooke exclaimed, sobbing profusely.

"Why do you think I didn't make a choice to stay with you, Brooke?!" Remus finally spoke up. "Don't you think I've seen enough of loss to haunt me for the rest of my life? I lost my mother, first. Then, the love of my life left me! And then my best friends did! What makes you think that I could've been able to afford to have anything bad happen to you and Harry, the only ones I have left?!" Remus blurted as Brooke stood there with her mouth wide open. Yes, Brooke had her share of traumas, but she was so caught up in her own misery that she could see nothing beyond losses and pain.

"Don't get me wrong, fawn. You're the bravest person I know," Remus stated, regaining his composure. "And I promise you, that I will never leave you in the middle of anything ever again."

"Are you sure?" Brooke asked, wiping her tears away, as Remus enveloped her in another hug. 

"I promise you, fawn," Remus reassured the blonde, wrapping an arm around her, as Brooke managed to conjure the brightest smile she could've mustered, with the amount of energy left with her.