17~ TURNING

"So... let me get this to you straight. You broke up with him because you wanted to keep him off my brother's radar?" Carina asked as she poured a second round of firewhiskey for herself into her glass and Brooke nodded in response, downing her third glass of firewhiskey.

"I did what I had to do, Care. I can't afford to lose any more of my family, at this point," Brooke stated as Carina seated herself beside her god-daughter.

"And what about your little run-in with Sirius? Do you believe him for what he said? That he doesn't mean any harm to you and Harry?" Carina asked, concern laced in her tired voice.

"I don't know what to believe anymore, at this point-" Brooke was cut off by the sound of a violent thunderclap as a millisecond later, the pattering downpour started hitting the roof of her cottage.

"It's time," Brooke said as she looked at Carina.

Carina nodded and morphed into a mountain lion, knowing all too well that her cat form would not be able to survive the brutally falling rain.

Brooke went over to the cabinet and pulled out the blood-red colored potion devoid of sunlight, thanks to the depths of the potions classroom.

Brooke signaled Charlie thrice through her necklace before taking it off and shooting a nod at Carina. Brooke took a sip of the mouthful of liquid, placed the tip of her wand towards her heart, and said the incantation of the animagus charm to experience the all too familiar double heartbeat.

Brooke stepped out into the rain and closed her eyes, as she felt her skin being replaced by a hairy dark hide with tiny black spots and her nails turning into claws. A cutting pain shot through her body as Brooke screamed, and fell on the ground, groaning in pain, as her groans turned into growls and her growls turned into silent roars.

Her spine redefined and turned feline as her dark blue eyes turned into two golden ones. Her canines sharpened and whiskers grew out of her upper lip. 

As a mountain lion, Carina watched the scene with concern and astonishment as Brooke morphed into a gigantic black panther. 

Carina marveled at the sight as Brooke yelled out a signal roar to let her Godmother know that she was okay.

The metamorphmagus and the animagus pounced around the grassland, alcohol thriving through their veins and the thunderstorm wind pattering aggressively on them.

I did it, Brooke roared happily.

I'm so proud of you, Carina roared back with enthusiasm.

After about 25 minutes of pouncing around in the storm, Brooke and Carina sat in front of the fireplace, drying themselves up

"So, how do you feel, Brooke?" Carina stated as Brooke looked up at her.

"Just a bit of body pain. Nothing a teeny muggle pill or a second-year healing charm can't solve," Brooke answered nonchalantly.

"You clearly have something on your mind, Bree," Carina pointed out as Brooke sighed.

"Just... second thoughts," Brooke started. "What if this was a mistake? I mean, if it was, I'd be stuck being a part animal for the rest of my life. And I'm not even sure if I can learn how to control my power. I mean, what if I end up hurting someone? I don't want to be a monster, Care."

Saying so, a tear rolled down Brooke's eyes as Carina wiped it away. 

"Listen to me, Brooke. You are not a monster. It's you who will get to choose what you want to be. And your choices define who you're meant to be. Okay?" Carina said as Brooke turned to look at her God Mother.

"You really believe that?" Brooke asked.

"It's a fact, Bree," Carina stated.

"And you know who I got this fact from?" Carina asked as Brooke shook her head.

"It was James who told me that. And I know that he would've believed in this fact. And he would've offered you the same advice," Carina said, as Brooke managed to crack a small smile.

"I love you, Care," Brooke said as Carina wrapped her in a hug.

"I love you, Bree. And I have always been proud of you."