Chapter 7: 'Night Of The Comet'

BONNIE TRIES TO NOT MAKE IT OBVIOUS THAT SHE HAS HER EYES PEELED FOR A GOOD LOOKING GUY IN A LEATHER JACKET

"Tonight, night of the comet! Would you like a programme?" She cheers with a smile at passing families.

The Mystic Falls Park, that's right opposite the Grill, is packed. A setting sun; PG-13 pop music blasting through speakers; laughing children running away from their moms with a face full of paint and a hula hoop around their waist.

Even with all this joy surrounding them. The two best friends handing out programmes can't help, but have the men in their lives occupy their attention.

"He didn't call, huh?" They had stayed up the night before talking about Elena's boy drama. From the house visit from hell and the mysterious brother, who somehow remains unnamed, that knew a lot of what the brunette knew too little about: a complicated past.

"Or text. Then I realised we never even exchanged that stuff. We never got to the texting part."

"That's an important milestone in any relationship." The petite girl with chocolate curls flying across her face says with a mock serious voice.

"Isn't it? The timing is wrong, anyway."

Nope, absolutely not. She is not about to let her friend chase away the first bit of happiness she's had since...a while.

"When is it ever right?" She reasons.

"I'm not ready, Bonnie."

"Who is?" Both girls stand still.

"At least I put myself out there." The brunette fires back passively, but is only met with a disbelieving stare.

"Is that what you're calling it?"

"What do you mean?"

"All I'm hearing is reasons why you can't."

If she can get out of her comfort zone then Elena can easily do the same. Stefan is what makes her friend happy and there's nothing that is going to stop her personal mission to help this relationship succeed.

~~~

Caroline has tasked the whole friend group to pass around candles for everyone when the sun has officially set.

"My box is empty." Bonnie says as she places the once candle filled cardboard box on the bench.

"Mine too." Matt announces from behind her also placing his box down.

"Done." Tyler follows.

"Okay, now we just have to light everyone's candles before the comet passes," A collective groan comes from the three indentured friends, "You're doing great you guys, keep up the good work."

They reluctantly light their candles one by one.

An interesting sight, just a few feet away, of a small flame igniting another.

"Thank you, hi." Stefan's distant voice says.

"Hi." Elena replies.

Bonnie tries not to smile at the couple that walks away from the bench and watch the comet together.

"I wonder what that's all about?" The blonde's curiosity is missed by her as she looks up towards the night sky and watches a slow burning white light shoot cross the blackness. Suddenly it gets hard to breathe and her consciousness is quickly taken over by a flash of vivid images-memories.

The loud and laboured neighing of the coach's horse leads a carriage in front of a large estate. A feminine figure wrapped in the fine cotton of a different time, head tilted downwards bearing a straw woven hat lined with orange ribbon steps onto a foot stool set down by a servant. The figure is being helped down by a woman with light brown skin and black hair pinned back with a bonnet, a familiar look in her eyes...