Chapter 2: 'Pilot'

THE SUMMER ENDED BEFORE IT EVEN BEGAN

The death of Miranda and Grayson Gilbert was a tragedy that left the town stunned. What was even more shocking was the miraculous survival of their daughter, Elena Gilbert. A miracle that brew curiosity and relief amongst the townsfolk.

Bonnie is especially grateful for her friend coming out of the incident magically unscathed and who's house she is currently parked in front of. Assuming that she would need a ride Bonnie, like a good friend, had offered to take her to school. She can't imagine how it must feel like for her to have to be inside a car, let alone drive one. To be reminded of your grief by a simple daily task.

Speaking of, the tan brunette makes her way to the passenger seat.

"Good morning." She says in a surprisingly upbeat tone.

"So it is," She watches Elena settle into her seat and secure her safety belt, "Ready?"

"Ready." She says after taking a deep breath in reassurance.

The drive starts off quietly, except for the soft hum of the radio. Recently, they have been sharing many moments that are just like this. Where they could sit in a comfortable silence, where no words need to be exchanged to feel each other's presence. But being the talkative person she is, the peaceful quiet doesn't last long.

"So Grams is telling me I'm psychic. Our ancestors were from Salem, witches and all that, I know, crazy, but she's going on and on about it, and I'm like, put this woman in a home already!" Even though she loves her grandmother to bits and couldn't part with her if she wanted to, her sanity is starting to decline with all the mumbo jumbo she fills her head with.

The whole summer she had endured her grandmother prattling on about the subject. From diving deep into her side of the family's supposed magical history to haunting stories about creatures of the night. She went on about how, 'It is imperative that you prepare for the future'. That Bonnie has 'the gift' and how a force as powerful as magic won't stay dormant for long.

And even though it seems silly to even consider the idea she can't help but think about all the mysterious and unexplainable occurrences in her life, "But then I started thinking, I predicted Obama and I predicted Heath Ledger, and I still think Florida will break off and turn into little resort islands..." Turning to her friend to know her thoughts, but she can see that she's already too far gone, "Elena! Back in the car."

"I did it again, didn't I? I-I'm sorry Bonnie. You were telling me that..." Her apologetic face breaks her heart.

"That I'm psychic now." She says confidently and hopes that it will bring a smile to her travel companion.

"Right. Okay then predict something. About me." Her playing along is a good sign.

"I see..."

Before she can 'gaze into the future' a dark small figure bounces off of the windshield causing her to quickly swerve the car towards the side walk.

"What was that?! Oh, my god! Elena are you okay?" She looks over to make sure she's in one piece as the girl tries to even her breathing. Good.

"It's okay. I'm fine." She says after catching her breath.

"It was like a bird or something. It came out of no where."

"Really, I can't be freaked out by cars for the rest of my life."

This makes Bonnie melt with sympathy. Her friend is the strongest person in the world. She is going to make it her personal mission to bring joy back into Elena Gilbert's life, which is a pretty mammoth task as nothing could overshadow losing both your parents so suddenly. But she is determined.
No mater the cost, because she deserves that much.