Chapter 4: 'I'm Never The One'

DAMON AND STEFAN SALVATORE USED TO BE THE BEST OF FRIENDS

Growing up under the roof of their father, Giuseppe Salvatore, they didn't really have a choice.

When the home wasn't filled with the violent booms of the Salvatore patriarch, jovial laughter and the soft patter of spirited footsteps filled the hallways. Whether it was sneaking out for late night swims at the quarry or battling at a deck of cards until the sun rose, the two were as thick as thieves.

Even as Damon outgrew the breeches of boyhood the pair were still inseparable. Still partaking in mischief and relishing in impromptu adventures.

But now, all those fond memories of the past no longer apply. All vows of love and  understanding have long been forgotten. All that remains of their brotherhood is the promise of undying mutual resentment. All it took was a single woman to tear the two apart, forever.

It's hard to believe that there was a time when things were civil between the siblings. It's hard to believe that there was a time that existed before Kathrine Pierce. Forever changed, the beginning of their lives started not at birth, but with a girl who's smile shone in two different directions.

For them, the world had only completed its first orbit and time's hand had only struck its first hour the moment she glided out of that oak wood carriage and planted her feet onto the Salvatore Estate.

It's hard for Damon to shake the nostalgic vision of her from his head, even as he taunts his brother.

"Crow's a bit much, don't you think?"

"Wait till you see what I can do with the fog."

The look of disdain on his brother's face only grows as he asks, "When'd you get here?"

"Well," Damon sighs, "I couldn't miss your first day of school," he scans over Stefan with a wave of a hand, "Your hair's different. I like it."

The brooding vampire's patience is thinning by the second, "It's been fifteen years, Damon."

"Thank God," He rolls his eyes, "I couldn't stand another day of the nineties. That horrible grunge look?" He mocks him further with laughter, "Did not suit you. Remember Stefan, it's important to stay away from fads."

The raven haired vampire struts across the carpeted floor, meandering around the bedroom.

"Why are you here?" Stefan reiterates.

Damon turns his head to him with a confused look plastered across his face, implying that the answer is obvious, "I miss my little brother."

"You hate small towns. It's boring, there's nothing for you to do."

Based on tonight's events alone, he'd like to beg to differ.

"I've managed to keep myself busy."

"You know, you left that girl alive tonight. That was very clumsy of you."

"Aah, that could be a problem...for you."

"Why are you here now?"

"I could ask you the same question. However, I'm fairly certain your answer can be summed up all into one little word: Elena."

He smiles at the further furrowing brows that deepen with realisation.