13 A Funny Fight To The Wolf

The town is dead. No one attempts to fight the snow that barricades most inside. Colorful towers, however, look lit with life. Theo drops me at the edge of the building keeping himself covered while I shove my freezing toes through the snow. Chasity is standing there, nothing but her phone in hand, "I figured we needed to travel light. I have my wallet and phone. Everything else I can worry about later."

"Theo is waiting on the other side of the building. We need to hurry; the wolves are coming." She grabs my arm stopping me from turning around. Her eyes have chilled tears freezing as they fall down her cheeks, "Chas?"

"I want to say thank you. Thank you for thinking of me." I give her a smile, then tug her forward. Her feet slip beneath her but she's able to catch herself before she goes rolling. I laugh at the ice now attached to her cheeks, even her own laughter leaving to mimic mine. It's hard not to enjoy the mini adventure we get to experience. With my few months of being in 'the know' I haven't been able to experience much of the magical. Theo would probably be upset with the thoughts, however it's nice to experience the power of his bear and know that my demons don't stand a chance. Chas stays close to me when we round the corner. Theo leans in taking a deep sniff, "Oh... my..." The words leave her without thought.

A giggle leaves my lips at the sight of her wide stance. She's the same height as me and I forgot how much largerTheo is than most of your normal day to day animals. Chas reaches her hand out, Theo offering a snow-covered paw. Their hellos land on each other, a wild shake between them. She can't help but let out a squeal with he drops to the ground displaying us his back, "Come on. You can ask more questions later. We must make it to the tunnel."

"Right. Right. Sorry." The woman that usually has so much to say has become stunned into silence. Fear resonates off her when she reaches into his fur pulling herself onto his back. I follow pushing myself close to her back side, "I can't believe this is happening."

Me either, "We have to think through this logically. We only have the one tunnel to get in and out of Whittier. Theo is going to attempt to get us through and towards the lift zone. One of our friends has a plane set up for us, towards the north star." She lays herself down his spine and I place myself atop of her. Together we're a little uncomfortable running through the snow, but discomfort isn't an issue when it's this or possible death. His feet crunch the snow, a thunderous comparison to the small noises my feet make walking across a snowy pathway. As our shivering bodies make it to the tunnel, sound offs of howls break through. Chas grabs my hand holding it to her stomach. I catch her eyes look back at me with a determination I hadn't experienced before.

"Hold on. We need to let him run." Her voice is hard to hear, but I understand well enough. Theo feels us dig our hands into him, feet clenching at his sides. The sound of snot blowing from his nose confirms it. And if you would've asked me how fast a bear can run, I wouldn't have thought anything near what Theo begun to perform. We ride his back with gritted teeth as his butt comes forward to greet the front, then spread apart once more. His strides become longer. Almost a jump to the next spot. I have to shove my face into Chas' back to keep on. Another howl. Then another. Fear resonates through my bones. I trust Theo with my life, but I worry for Chasity. She doesn't seem oblivious to the truth between us. Theo wouldn't save you. It's not because of anything more than this bond cracking between us. His nature will always pick me over anyone else. I wish I could promise Chasity a safe road ahead, but the bears are tight. History, sadly, confirms it. Her mate being the beta tells me that she would never have a chance with a good bear. Maybe a human could take care of her, but some part of me hurts that she doesn't get to experience this crazy thing. Love is sure crazy. While I am very human, part of my brain has shifted into a wider perspective. I've lost the life span of a human and gained the time of a bear. My life has become hundreds of years longer. Chasity will die long before me. In response I grip her tighter. She deserves protection. She deserves a life of happiness. And no club wielding wolf is going to take her from me.