14 To Think Me Healed Is To Think A Lie

"The flight home is about four hours. We should be good on fuel, and Hunter made sure to pack some food for you guys." Slate grumbles coming up from the front. He left the co-pilot to handle the plane, even with it able to monitor itself and keep flying without them. Sadness racks over Slate, his eyes glazed over with a special kind of ache while he looks over Theo. However, I would bet that man would never show that to him. At least not when he's awake and kicking. The shot's helped him lose the scarring. I will say some of the things that've come from his mouth are laughable, others being more concerning.

Chasity leans against me. Her entire goal is to avoid Hunter Colson. He keeps trying to talk to her, but she avoids all initiation. She seems more scared than anything, even with my encouraging smile. Hunter sits quietly on his side. His face is scrunched in scrutiny towards everyone. Not in a bad way either. It's like he's trying to figure out the story behind each one of us, "I promise I'm not trying to peel back an onion not yet ripe." Hunter coughs out, "But I need some more information on what's happening."

I give Slate a look, "You haven't told him?"

"It wasn't my place to tell. He's been a good help, however. Fantastic financial advisor." The joke slipped between his lips without the true Slate delivery fashion. He lays his hand on Theo's shoulder dropping next to him in the seat. I rub my fingers over the leathers letting the cool sensation covering my skin calm me to a steady state. Hunter meets Chasity's eyes, hers holding onto his for just as long as she can stand it.

"Is there a place Eos and I can speak privately?" Chas breaks the silence enveloping us. Slate shrugs.

"All we have is the front cabin. I can ask Jarret to step out for you. One moment." He goes to walk but stops right at me. He gives me a look a father would towards a daughter, "Eos?"

"Yes?" I tilt my chin up at him. His eyes hold subtle tears threatening to spill over. I know our hug was just the beginning of everything we needed to say to each other. I have so many thank you's, Abigail hugs, and Syd conversations to have. This family has taken me in as their own, and for everything that matters most, I needed them. Still need them. With my parents gone, my grandparents gone, and my own self wandering the abyss for so long their small acts of kindness saved me from myself.

"It's good to see you alive and well kid. Looking good with a little happiness in your eyes. Glad I get to see it." And with that he's walking to the front and leading Jarret out. Chas and I stand rushing into the room before the door closes. Tears now fill my eyes. I must fight to contain myself from rushing out there and getting another bear hug.

"You always told me about how much the bears cared for one another. I didn't expect to be overwhelmed with it the moment I stepped on a plane." Chas laughs to herself. It's not a humorous one by any means, just a programmed response to the realization overcoming her.

"The people saved me from myself. I don't know who I would've been forced to become without them. While I know it's a lot right now, I'm glad you found Hunter. If he wasn't worth anything he wouldn't be in this plane right now. Slate has an eye for good people."

She drops into the swiveling chair. I follow setting myself into the other one. All the buttons of the plane stare ominously at me, but if I keep my elbows tight to myself, I shouldn't have to worry about accidentally hitting one. Chas seems to do the same thing. Making herself as small as possible. I don't believe for the same reason. She looks me over, then stares at her knees for a long moment. I reach out my hand splaying it over her soaked clothes.

"I needed air." She admits dropping her woven hands into her lap, "Hunter is absolutely... I hadn't expected to want to jump him the moment our hands touched. It's so much more than I ever felt with that wolf. But now I'm struggling with myself. He doesn't know about what's happened, who I've dealt with. How can he want someone so broken?"