16 Knowledge Is Depression

"Let's start from the beginning, shall we?" I smirk at the young child standing on a stool next to me. Abigail grins from ear to ear while I hold the brownie mix in my hand. Her mother paces through the living with Michael eating his lunch. His demands were loud, and she couldn't push it off for much longer, but breastfeeding never bothered me so I made sure to encourage her to do it where she feels comfortable, "Now we need two eggs."

"Ew, eggs. Those things are gross!" She groans stomping her way over to the fridge. Her little hand wraps around the large handle and with both her feet pressed against the freeze portion she's able to swing herself and the door open. After a few moments of tapping her cherry-colored shoes, she grabs the eggs and grunts at the heaviness, "Don't help me! I'm strong." She scolds when I reach out my hand to help. Theo just replenished the kitchen with Slate the evening before, so everything is filled to the brim. I doubt someone her age just benches a dozen eggs for fun. Not to mention her balance is sketchy from the way she carries it across the kitchen.

"If you say so." I mumble. I take my time grabbing the mixing bowl and cabinet ingredients. By the time I've gathered everything else we need, Abigail is sliding the eggs across the counter with a red face of pride, "Now that's impressive." I offer my enclosed fist to her, and she bumps it back with an explosion of her fingers.

"I know. Daddy says I'm the strongest kid in the village, but don't worry Mrs. King I'll let you win in a fight." She started referring to me as his surname soon after she learned we're to get married, "Especially because Mr. King would take me out back and tie me to a tree again."

"Wait-" I want to ask for more information, but she's already working through the instructions on the box attempting to crack an egg, "Oh! Oh!" I reach out to catch the egg she's cracked over the floor. It's a comical scene where the runny yolk lands in my palm while the rest drips through my fingertips onto the floor. Why did I think I could catch that?

"I'm so sorry Mrs. King!" She squeals shifting her little body to get off the stool. I grab her arm to stop her helping her plant her feet on the stool confidently. The young child gives me a wild look, but I'm more focused on finding a towel and cleaner, "I want to help! Daddy says when you make a mess, it's a big girl's job to clean it up."

"Slate is right, but eggs are very slippery, and I don't want you to fall. I'll clean this up, why don't you put the mix and dry things in the bowl. I have measured out for you." I push the ingredients over to her. She's already forgotten about the mess and cheering herself on while she dumps and mixes all the dry stuff together. I beg to find something sooner, but nothing presents itself, "Syd?" I call out to her. She pauses her pace to look at me while I raise up my hand covered in yolk, "Do you know where cleaning supplies are?"

Thankfully she knew where everything was and helped me clean up the mess. Abigail happily finished mixing all the ingredients with the help of her mom and me. Both Syd and I must fight off the laughter of Abigail squatting in front of the oven with her llama dress on while she waits for the brownies to rise, "She really likes brownies huh?" I mumble to her mother who holds a sleeping, Michael. That baby looks exactly like his father. It's almost terrifying. Syd expressed her frustration with it the moment I made mention: I grew him for nine months and he has the audacity to come out like that idiot?

Abigail made sure to announce everything that happened with the brownies while they baked. I'd never thought I'd hear a play by play of brownie science, but she made sure we understood each key point. With a side eye to Syd, she shrugged her shoulders in return. Her years with Abigail had been full of such weirdness and she's decided to go with the flow instead of question. I lift my phone to see a message from Chasity. Hunter is dragging her over with a frugal attempt to get her to stop training with the physician. Even though she's earned her spot in the village by being the mate of a bear, she's still determined to prove her worth to the people.