so close yet so far - NR (2)

Part 2 for lexa, because she keeps begging me :) and for everyone else who also wanted a part 2

Warnings: teenager!Nat x teenager!Y/N, I may have been mean 👀
word count: 2.2k

~~~

"Bitch! Guess what?" Y/N yelled down the phone the moment Nat picked up. Their daily FaceTime always started with Y/N saying guess what, so Natasha just rolled her eyes.

"You flew to the moon?"

"Nope!"

Nat pretended to think. "You... you're pregnant?"

Y/N gasped. "I'm gay! And no! Are you saying I look fat?" The teenager tugged at her hoodie before pouting into the camera.

"No I'm not." Nat said, smiling sweetly. "You look perfect." She whispered that last part under her breath and Y/N was too distracted to notice, which helped soothe Nat's racing heart. They were just friends, and friends compliment each other right?

"Just guess already!" Y/N having a spinny chair really wasn't a good idea as she kept whipping around as Nat racked her brain to think. The redhead felt dizzy just watching. "Have you thought?"

Sometimes dealing with the brit on the other end of the phone was like trying to calm down an excitable toddler, so Natasha had learned very quickly to just let her talk until she was done. Best method. "No. So tell me, what's this exciting news?"

"IMCOMINGTOOHIOINAMONTHBECAUSEMYDADSAIDHEHADABUSINESSTRIPANDKNEWHOWMUCHIWANTEDTOGOANDITSSUMMERBREAKSONOSCHOOL!" She spoke faster than usual, her words strung together to form an incoherent babble of nonsense. Natasha just sat there blinking, wishing there was a slow motion button so her brain could catch up.

Y/N finished talking and waited eagerly for Nat's response... which never came. "So? Are you excited?"

Nat let out a little cute laugh. "Y/N, babes, that was great but um... I have no idea of anything you just said. Could you repeat... but slower?"

The Y/H/C girl groaned but spoke slower. "My dad going on a business trip next month and said I could go with him because it's the summer holidays and guess where he's going?.. Ohio!"

Nat's jaw dropped. A year of talking every day, FaceTiming most days and occasionally sending little cute letters and parcels had led to this moment. They'd both dreamed of it but didn't actually think it would happen because there was an entire ocean between them. Y/N's dreams had been filled with thoughts of finally getting to hug Nat, and the redhead similarly hadn't been able to stop imagining being held close by Y/N and not letting go.

"Wait," the redhead was speechlesss. "I- but- you're coming here? To me?" Tears pricked in her eyes and she didn't dare blink for fear of them falling down her cheeks.

"I'm coming to you Natty. I'm coming home." Y/N's voice broke as she saw Nat getting emotional, which was her weakness.

Natasha didn't miss a beat. "Home? But, your home is in England."

Y/N avoided her gaze, fiddling with her hoodie string. She laced it through her fingers before allowing it to drop so she could start again. "No, my home is with you. I don't feel safer than when I'm with you. Even if you're just a little blob on my screen-"

"I hope I'm more than just a blob on a screen to you."

Y/N smiled a watery smile, mirroring Nat. "You're a lot more. You're a cute and sexy little gay blob that lives permanently on my laptop screen." She flashed her teeth in a cheesy grin and sipped some water.

Nat hummed. "That's much better."

They both sat in silence for a few moments, just admiring each other subtly. Or at least trying to be subtle. Because the truth was, they'd called for each other, but no one had the confidence to say it out loud. Y/N thought her crush on Nat was discreet, and fortunately Nat thought exactly the same. Having an internet crush sucked, they'd found. So close they could reach out and touch, only to be blocked by several thousand pixels that played cruel tricks in making them think the person they wanted most was within touching distance.