so close yet so far - NR (3)

I clearly didn't keep my promise... because this is so much later than I intended. Please forgive me!

Warnings: Teenage!Natasha, Teenage!reader, AU
Word count: 3k

~~~

"Hi."

Natasha didn't reply. She stood rooted to the floor, her hand still clutching the door handle as she stared in shock. The girl in front of her wasn't real... she couldn't be. If Nat thought Y/N was cute on FaceTime, then the real thing was a hundred times better.

Y/N stood there with a huge grin, bouncing on her toes slightly as her fingers played with the plastic buckle on her backpack strap. She was chewing anxiously on her bottom lip but it kept slipping away as her smile was so big.

"Hey," the redhead finally responded once she's reorganised her brain. "I can't- are you- can I hug you?"

Y/N laughed, her eyes watering. "I can't believe you're even asking me that. Yes!"

Natasha rushed forwards and pulled Y/N close to her, crushing both her body and her backpack in a bone crushing hug. They both gripped each other hard, scared that if they let go they might slip away. Y/N pressed her face into Natasha's flaming red hair, it tickled her nose a bit but she wouldn't have it any other way. The colour was even more vibrant in real life.

"You're real." Natasha whispered, squeezing her tight before they pulled apart briefly, faces so close their noses were touching.

"I'm real. And I'm here." Only then did they realise that they were indeed still on Natasha's front doorstep, in plain view of her neighbours. The redhead tugged Y/N inside, her fingers slotting so nicely into her friend's palm it was like they were made for each other.

"Is that Y/N?" An excited voice called from a room to their left. In a matter of seconds, a giddy fourteen year old had skidded out into the entryway in her socks. It was an impressive move and Y/N nodded with a smile.

"Hey Yelena!" She smirked at the blonde who quickly ran over and tackled her in a hug. Somehow Natasha still managed to maintain her grip on Y/N's hand... somehow. "How are you?"

"I'm so much better now you're here!" Yelena exclaimed into her shirt, causing Y/N to ruffle her hair. "Nat you need to give me at least an hour with Y/N so we can play Just Dance." She gave her sister her best puppy eyes, but Natasha wasn't falling for it.

"She's mine Lena. Go make your own internet friends." Natasha squeezed Y/N's hand and tugged her closer, sliding an arm around her waist, claiming her territory. It's a good thing both sisters were staring at each other so they missed the blush that spread out across Y/N's cheeks at Nat's actions. She had to stop herself from choking on air.

"Um, you can both share me." She blurred out, still trying to recover. "I'm here for like 3 days."

Nat narrowed her eyes at her sister. "She's still mine Lena. Don't be a thief."

"You're mean." Yelena pouted. But Y/N sent her a wink and that frown soon flipped into a grin. "I'll see you later, bestie."

"She's so annoying but you'll get used to her." Y/N couldn't help but marvel at the grandeur of the house around her as Natasha let them both upstairs. The ornate banisters, stone staircase, chandelier hanging over the main entryway. She gathered they were rich, but this was a whole other level. "She was supposed to go with Mom to the grocery store but she didn't get out of bed fast enough."