Chapter One

I was nervously shivering under the king's gaze as breakfast unfolded. Queen Amberly gave me a heartwarming look, Maxon grinned when I met his eyes, and even Celeste offered a faint smile, as she had recently become a friend.

But King Clarkson despised me...I knew it from the bottom of my heart. The king wanted me out, he was trying to ruin everything about me. Calling my aesthetic out-of-style, preventing me from meeting up with Maxon by inviting him to stupid committee meetings, and worst of all, constantly discriminating my family, suggesting they were less than considering that I hadn't come from the highest of castes. 

And I was through with this nonsense. The King was utterly terrifying, but as a favorite in the Selection, I was sure some people would side with me. That I wouldn't be alone in my pursuit to make Illea a better place. 

"Maxon, my office after breakfast, and don't dawdle and talk, eat quickly," the king snapped before muttering something under his breath and conversing with his wife. I suspected it was because he was used to barking orders at his son. 

Maxon nodded. "Of course, father," He said flatly, his voice emotionless. Right after he'd spoken, he subtly scratched behind his ear, tugging it gently after glancing at his father to make sure he wasn't watching. I couldn't hide my grin, with all of the stress of being one of the Elite, I hadn't gotten much time to just talk with Maxon. 

On the other side of the table, Kriss's gaze flicked over and met mine. I smiled, looking into her regal eyes. I was decent at guessing emotions, and with one glance at her hazel eyes I could see determination with hints of something else I couldn't quite name. She didn't look unhappy, but wasn't radiating joy like most of the girls seemed to be. Looking around, I saw Natalie and Elise chatting happily with one another, their voices full of pleasure. To Elise's left I saw Celeste ordering around a butler, having him fetch things for her and talking her head off. Even though we were growing closer, Celeste could still be insufferable.

When I finished eating the luxurious breakfast I stood up, Maxon's gaze seemed to be following me but when I glanced over he looked down at his plate, remembering his father's order and promptly ignoring everyone. I retreated to my room, just like Elise and Natalie had done a few minutes ago, and saw Aspen standing guard outside it wearing a goofy grin. I simply nodded...I can't be with him, I thought. And after all, my feelings for him were practically nonexistent after all this time spent with Maxon. We can be friends, but that didn't mean I had to always acknowledge his presence.

Inside I saw Mary making my bed. She blinked as she noticed me, "oh my!" She exclaimed, rushing to finish her task, hurriedly arranging the pillows. I held up a hand gesturing for her to relax, she'd been helping out far more than the others lately, so it was only fair she too got a break.

Speaking of the others I asked, "where are Anne and Lucy?" 

"Who knows where?" Mary sighed, "Lucy was off to stitch you a dress but who knows where Anne went? I'd heard she's in love, Julia told me, a dear friend. Perhaps meeting up?" 

I couldn't resist a smirk. I felt happy for Anne but imagining her offering quick kisses in a closet with some guard or long glances at a fellow servant was ridiculous. Unimaginable. Anne was the kind of person who was orderly and neat. But I mostly believed that because of what happened to Marlee...I couldn't get the cries of pain out of my head.

She's an eight now, I suppressed a sigh of disappointment. My best friend, future bridesmaid, and personal favorite competitor was gone. Now roaming the streets of some province far off and nowhere near here. 

Getting up I tell Mary, "I'm going to see Maxon." Maybe he would keep my thoughts at bay with a kiss, or even a friendly hug. The Selection was surely nearing the end, and I had finally gotten some control over my feelings. Maxon was the one. And I hoped I was the one for him. 

I walked down the stairs in my blue day dress. It was simple and neat, everyone beamed at me and seemed to enjoy my presence. But oddly enough a few guards kept shooting nervous and pointed glances my way. Already nervous enough after breakfast, I kept my head low.

"America," a voice said from afar. I looked up to see the love of my life's eyes settled on me. I nearly snorted after realizing the amount of emotion that had come over me. I rolled my eyes at the phrase, love of my life, it fit but wasn't exactly something I'd say.

I walked over, "Maxon!" I exclaimed, pleased to see his honey colored hair and brown eyes. Despite seeing him nearly every day, the sight always brought a smile of some sort to my face, whether it was a smirk or a grin depended on how I was feeling. 

But he was tense, his shoulders were up high and he seemed to be preparing to say something tough. Has any of my family died...like Natalie's? But when he got closer he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in for a feverish kiss. My eyes widened when he stepped back. Usually we communicated before any sort of romantic gesture, and he clearly hadn't. Something was off. 

"What is it?" I cried, unable to stand the strange behavior and awkwardness of the situation. He seemed to stare me down as a confused expression fell over my face. I saw Maxon try to comfort me but as I did I repeated, "Maxon please...what is it?" 

Finally, his troubled gaze met mine, "America it breaks my heart to say this but...I have to eliminate you."

I saw his walls come down for a second, seeing the pure grief and despair he was hiding before his regained his composer in a matter of seconds. His eyes were no longer light and full of genuine happiness like they had been earlier this morning, instead they seemed to be full of storms of anger and sadness. 

Tears immediately started gushing from my eyes, "why!" I hollered, just two days ago he'd suggested the idea of marrying me. I wanted to accept so badly, but I was scared of becoming a princess, a future queen, or a monarch in general. But now... sending me home after openly expressing his love. Was this a game to him? How twisted was he? 

"I'm so sorry...my father is forcing me to. Either this or he gives the crown to my cousin and the reign of the Schreave's had ended," he explained, gently pushing a lock of red hair behind my ear. "it really will be hard though, married to a girl I don't love."

It was then when I exploded. "You could just say no!" I cried, "you could just let some cousin have the throne and be with me!" I knew I was selfish. I knew that he had spent his entire life waiting for this, to rule. And I knew I was awful for suggesting he give that up to be with me, a Five who didn't know where she fit and only that she had a temper and a love of music. 

And plus, I'd caught him strolling the gardens with Kriss and half-naked with Celeste. Would he really be with someone he didn't love? I scowl, taking a large step back and cross my arms. The tears have stopped falling now, and another emotion seized hold of me. 

"America-" Maxon started. 

I just shouted, "I don't care anymore...I'll be happy when I leave when I'm gone and married to a better man!" 

I intended to make him mad, but all I did was break my own heart into even smaller pieces. There was no such thing as a better man when the only one I cared for didn't fight for me. He reciprocated my feelings, but wouldn't risk anything to stand up against his father if it meant jeopardizing his chance at being king. 

He just playfully chuckled, "as if there is one...my dear." More tears fell as I remembered the first time he'd called me that...the moment when we became friends and the time we had our first kiss. All the times we had seen each other in secret, the raw emotions we'd let out, the secrets and stories. All of it was over now. 

"Don't call me that!" I snapped, and his face sunk, "now I'm going and I never want to see you again!" Even though I loved him dearly and didn't want to end on bad terms, I hoped I wasn't the only one who was hurting. 

Well I revised this chapter and hope I did a decent job. I'll be revising the others slowly, and hopefully update these chapters regularly.