Chapter Eight

I had briefly returned to the rebels after Maxon's visit. "Marella!" I called, wanting to notify her and thank her before I left.

When she came scurrying over she murmured, "the prince wanted you!" Nervously I stepped back before saying what I had to say. 

"I have news," I said to her, "I am decided to go explore a bit more...I'll try and come back to visit frequently but I want to try and make the most of this opportunity."

Marella smiled, "a young woman with guts," she said. I wrapped my arms around her, in the two days, I'd been here I had grown used to the woman. She was nice and pretty, with the courage to do whatever she wanted. I hoped I would be just like her someday. 

I turned around after a while and walked away. I caught Georgia's eyes on me as I started to leave, desperately she ran after me. "America! Wait!" She called. My gaze flicked and met hers.

"What?" I asked. 

She twitched, "I was just nervous that you're leaving. For once I kind of felt like I belonged somewhere."

"Oh," I muttered. I met Georgia's eyes and saw her sadness, "I'll visit. I just don't want to be stuck in one place for too long."

She nodded and I started to walk away, "goodbye America," she said as I went into the forest. 

I heard the song of birds and the crunch of leaves as I stepped on them. I breathed in the crisp forest air and took in the smell of pine. It was so refreshing out here, I loved the familiarity it radiated in.

Soon when I saw a cluster of lilies in between trees with ivy tendrils covering them, I remembered the time Maxon pushed away my hair and stuck the golden-orange flower above my ear. I had to hold back a few tears as I picked one out myself and carried it as I moved on.

Finally, I decided to take a rest after four hours of walking. I climbed a medium-sized tree and rested my head on the one branch with less sap than the others. I tucked the lily in my hair and closed my eyes, listening to the wind.

Then a soothing blackness dawned on me. I hadn't intended to fall asleep but after I did my body seemed to realize I needed it. For once as I rested it felt so much better than the nights I spent on the mattresses in the palace. 

When my eyes opened again I saw that the sky was a pastel orange with hints of pink and even a dash of yellow. I slid down to the forest floor, my legs sore from all I'd done earlier that day. I saw the setting sun and used it as a mental compass, walking south.

But as I walked now I only heard the rustle of bushed and the scurrying animal's footsteps. Everything seemed uneasy so I walked faster.

Finally, when there was so much sweat on me I couldn't think I saw a house. Tammins, I thought. As I walked by the lonely cottage I saw more and the town square came into view. I looked around for a motel of some sort.

When I found one I ran in, the man at the counter seemed exhausted so he charged me half price for a small room. Grabbing the key off of his desk I ran up down the hallway to my room.

Unlocking the door I went inside, slamming the door shut, before kicking off my shoes and taking off my hat, and leaping into bed. It was so comfortable compared to the rebel's bunks and the tree, not nearly as luxurious as the palace but nice.

My eyes closed to weariness again and this time it was so much better. My body completely shut down and I dreamt about my family, May and Gerad were running in a field followed by Kenna, Kota, Mom, and Dad.

At least my family won't die since I'm not in the selection anymore, I thought. Hopefully, Natalie's family was alright...I'd met Lacy once and she was so wonderful, her death surely must be hard to deal with.

Yawning awake I lazily got out of bed and changed into a casual dress, not nearly as fancy and fresh as a day dress, but instead worn out and cozy.

I opened my door to go get food before I would write a letter to Aspen. My shoes clicked on the ground as I walked down the hallway before going out to the warm streets of Tammins.