Chapter Ten

After the run-in at the bakery, I felt pressure on my shoulders, it was as if I was supposed to be a deadly secret and somehow I was revealed for the world to see. I'd have to stay put in the hotel for a while before checking the post office if people could recognize me.

Sighing I flicked away a receipt and collapsed into my bed. I fell asleep and my eyes flickered closed and went into a tranquilizing blackness. 

When I woke up the sun was high in the sky and it was revealed that today was going to be a pleasant one. I sighed with remorse remembering the casual strolls I had in the garden on days like these. Trying to get the depressing thought out of my head I changed into a clean jacket and jeans.

I opened the rotting wood door and emerged into the hallway, walking to the stairs. As my feet fell down the stone steps I realized how my stomach grumbled. When I got downstairs I grabbed a free muffin and ate it with satisfaction as I headed to check for a letter.

When I got there I saw two guards suspiciously standing outside of the building. I ducked my head as I walked in and when I got to the letter pick-up searched for my name in the sack of envelopes. 

Finally, I saw one that said Lady America Singer. I opened it and saw a sheet of paper with the palace crest on it. I almost gasped, I knew it was weird when he didn't use Mer but now I knew he'd told someone about our secret.

As I tried to walk out a gust of wind blew my hat off, it was freezing but what I didn't notice at first were the two armed guards running at me shouting, ¨she's the one Maxon wants!¨

I cried for help as they carried me to a car, shoving me in the back and locking the doors shut. I wailed and felt tears fall down my eyes as I drove back to the palace, to Angeles...to Maxon. 

.   .   .

I woke up in a bed, my body was exhausted and my head ached. Beside me I saw Lucy sitting on the mattress and rubbing my arm, dabbing a wet cloth on my forehead too.

¨Lady America you're back!¨ Mary exclaimed and I tried to smile.

¨You are all the only reason I want to be here,¨ I said, ¨it's all against my will...I don't love Maxon anymore...but now he's brought me back into the selection and claimed that I got awfully sick and had to temporarily remove me.¨

Anne rolled her eyes, ¨and you'd rather be dead,¨ she chuckled. After she set a cup of tea on my bedside table she added, ¨we all know Leger didn't mean to reveal you...it was an accident that he blurted your name.¨

¨I never blamed him,¨ I whispered.

Snatching the tea I slurped it down. Even though it was messy my throat felt like it was in luxury. I decided to fall back into my bed and when I did I felt amazing as I waited for Maxon to come knocking, so I could reveal my anger for him as if it was a hurricane.