Chapter Twelve

I rolled around in my sleep and groaned as Lucy woke me up, ¨time for a bath miss,¨ she said in a sweet voice. I sighed, stomping to the bathroom and getting undressed. 

My practically see-through violet nightgown was tossed into a pile of dirty laundry they'd clean later. A bath was drawn and rose petals were scattered throughout it. I sighed, realizing how much my maids outdid themselves. 

¨Anne,¨ I asked, as she plopped some vanilla-scented shampoo onto my head.

She met my eye, full of wonder, and responded, ¨yes?¨

¨What did you do well I wasn't here?¨ I asked, ¨serve another lady? Work somewhere else?¨

Anne nervously twitched and whispered, ¨I had to work for Kriss...she pampered me so much as if she was trying to be you. It was awful I hated it. Lucy got to go with Celeste so she was happy because she knows how much you two have bonded...and poor Mary was sent to the kitchens.¨

I tried to hold back sobs of respect for my maids...it sounded weird, it did, but I would pour my heart out if it meant they would be treated like real people instead of sixes. If they weren't content with their life they could just join me when Clarkson sent me off again to have the wonderous life of a five.

.   .   .

Finally, after my overly dramatic bath I'd been trying to forget and a disturbingly quiet breakfast where I got glares of jealousy from Kriss, I finally got more time with Maxon. 

It was nice, and nerve-racking, but calm and relaxing, almost as if it was soothing in a way. We strolled through the gardens, I didn't let him link arms with me because I saw the pictures of him and Kriss strolling like we were now.

As we walked by the lilies he plucked one from a bush and swiped my hair back behind my ear, placing the delicate flower with it. Suddenly I remembered the flowers I had picked back at the rebel camp and realized that Aspen must've seen it.

I wanted to have his affection so I kept it there, nervous to remove it. We continued walking when Maxon said, ¨remember that walk out here we had before?¨

¨You have to be more specific,¨ I snorted.

Maxon chuckled. ¨The one where you kneed me in the groin,¨ he told me. 

¨Why?¨ She asked nervously, ¨are you trying to break my heart again? To send me home but have the driver ditch me at some cheap motel?¨

Maxon tried to hug me but I stepped back with caution, ¨America...I didn't know father would have him leave you. And about that stroll...I love you for it. You seemed to be shy and uncooperative but inside was a beast, a beast that I need forever for my sake and Illéas.¨

I couldn't resist this time when he tightly hugged me. It felt so much better than the wrath of the king or the pressure of being discovered when I'd been gone and I wanted it all to myself. ¨We need time...maybe you could spend the evening with me?¨ I asked.

¨I will try to set up some desserts for us after sunset but I need to do something with at least one of the others,¨ he whispered into my ear.

I nodded as I noticed him coming in for a kiss. I shoved him and he stumbled back, sitting down on what he thought was a bench but really was the edge of a fountain. Trying to warn him I giggled as he fell into the cold water and saw a goofy grin on his face, ¨typical America,¨ he joked, getting up and shaking like a dog. 

Resisting the urge to snicker I said, ¨don't underestimate me.¨ It came out in a playful way but I saw his doubtful expression.

¨I suppose I'll wash off before going to have tea with Celeste,¨ he muttered. I sighed with relief that he wasn't seeing Kriss...the sweetheart who tried to replace me while I was gone. 

I just put on a smile as I walked back inside and up to my room. There I would share what had happened with my maids because Celeste would be on a date I couldn't confide in her.

Racing up the stairs I stopped at the top to the familiar face of Queen Amberly.