Chapter Nine

My eyes flicked from building to building as I took in the new scenery. Everything was bright and sunny, reminding me of the hot streets of Angeles. Walking swiftly over to the post office I assumed there would be free paper to write on like there was in Carolina.

Inside I snatched a blank sheet and borrowed a pen from a bowl. On it, I tried to write a friendly letter to Aspen but had trouble finding the right words. In the end, I just ended up writing,

Dear Aspen, 

I miss you and always will, I am now and Tammins and plan to be here until you respond. I wonder what it's like at the palace and how Kriss and Celeste are doing.

Don't tell anyone but I want Celeste to win, I learned to care for her like I care for Marlee and have gotten close to her. Tell me if anything happens. Also, I want to know how Maxon is doing...just to see if he regrets getting rid of me so I can laugh over it. 

Anyways I don't really know what else to say but I hope to hear back soon.

From, Mer.

I decided to use my code name, sure Maxon knew it but I doubted any guards other than Aspen did. After paying the post office for a stamp I signed the envelope with decent penmanship and slipped it through a hole to get into the next delivery.

Now I had nothing to do. I decided to look around and ended up in a neat bakery by the edge of the town square. Inside I saw the baker hard at work whipping up pastries while a few tables were full of people gossiping. 

One person was reading an article about the selection, I kept my distance even though I had a disguise. In the far corner, I noticed a boy about my age with scruffy blonde hair wearing an apron and an unhappy expression. He must be the baker's son.

As I walked up to the counter to order my food I said, "can I please have a scone?"

The baker eyed me, "what kind?"

"Blueberry," I responded. 

"Oh!" He exclaimed, "I don't have any out here but if you come with me I have a batch in the back." I nodded, hesitantly following him. 

Once the door was closed and it was only me and the baker he announced, "you're America Singer? Aren't you?"

I nodded shamefully, he was the first to notice, and if he could I bet others would see through my disguise. 

"You saved my family's life!" He shouted loudly, "the rebels started to go after a few fours while they attacked threes. If me and the rest of this province hadn't fought back we would all be dead." 

I beamed, he was complimenting the speech the king had shunned me for. But every bit of excitement was washed off my face when his son came in and slammed the door behind him. "You got Adin killed!"

Confused, and startled I asked, "who's Adin?"

The baker sighed, "Adin is my son, Brady's best friend. He died saving his family from rebels."

"He was murdered!" Brady shouted, "all because of some heartless speech you said."

Shaking his head the baker sternly said, "you convinced Adin to fight. If we hadn't many more would have died. He saved lives and so did you son." Brady angrily stormed out and my face was a pale white as I left with two scones...and extra because of the fight.

Outside the sky was clear and the sun beat down. I was on a bench eating the last bites of my food. I decided to stroll around the public gardens, something lovely that I thought all provinces should have. 

I reached into my pocket and pulled out the rumpled lily. I sighed, it had been beautiful. Placing it down in the fertile soil I buried it, before plucking another one out of a nearby push to put in my red hair.

Continuing to walk I felt the sun warm my neck as the light breeze arched my hair. An occasional cloud passed by and my imagination raced, my mind deciding what each one looked like most. 

Eventually, I got bored and rented out a room in a hotel. I walked up the short staircase to my room and took a long shower, washing out my dusty hair before settling into bed and falling asleep.