Epilogue

I smiled as I woke up beside America. It had been almost a year since we'd gotten married and I was content with our lives. Everything had been perfect, and since the moment I'd met her I knew she was the woman I'd end up with.

"Good morning, my dear," I whispered into her ear as she pulled herself out of bed. 

"Good morning, Maxon," she replied, heading to the bathroom to change out of her nightgown. I smiled, walking over to my dresser and selecting a suit.

.   .   .

The gardens were peaceful, and often the spot me and America went to so we could 'get away'. I loved it, and from the long hours we spent together there and the beautiful smiles I assumed America did too.

We would always walk past the flowerbeds and down the marbled stone path. Conversation always arose even the days we tried to walk in silence, mostly about the first time we'd met and the memories of the selection, such as America kneeing me in the groin and calling me stuck up and shallow. 

Today though, we stayed silent for our mid-morning walk. Usually, this was the time when America let out whatever she felt like saying, but instead, the look on her face told me she was thinking. 

"Are you alright, my dear?" I asked, "it's hardly like you to stay quiet."

America looked into my eyes and muttered, "I'm fine," in a way that almost seemed half-hearted. Worriedly, I pulled her towards a stone bench where we always sat down together during the selection. 

"You can tell me anything," I whispered to her, using my hand to put her untied hair behind her ear.

America stared up at me. "I-I have something for you," she told me quietly.

I stared at her, "what?" I asked. 

"It's going to take a long time to give," America whispered, "about nine months."

"What?" I asked, and then it struck me, "you're pregnant?"

America laughed and kissed me. "I am!" She exclaimed joyfully. I laughed too, we'd both agreed to try for a baby since we wanted one, but we had failed countless times due to my One-genes, and the countless amount of unsuccessful births in the Schreave history. 

"This is wonderful," I breathed, "truly wonderful."

America smiled. I smiled too. Everything was perfect.