Chapter Twenty

My dress wasn't as extravagant as some of the others in history. It was white with a long train and a few ruffles. My hair was braided and falling down my back, my face covered by the veil I was tugging nervously.

"You'll be fine!" May squealed. Her dress was pale pink and silky, she twirled her hair as she added, "anyways I'm going with Mom to walk out soon, don't worry I'll cheer you on!"

I laughed a bit, smiling and Kenna, James, and Astra walked by, hurrying to wherever they were supposed to be followed by Kota who was sulking but smiling too. 

I looked around for Aspen. He'd agreed to do one final thing for me, which Maxon approved of. Before I was about to walk out he linked arms with me. "Are you sure about this Mer?" He teased, glancing at Maxon.

"I'm sure, Aspen," I replied. With a small amount of time left before he walked me down the aisle, I whispered, "we'll be like siblings... forever."

He nodded and flashed a perfect smile, dragging me along right on cue and smiling as he protectively guided me to Maxon, the only thing better than this would've been my Dad being here.

I tried to smile, overwhelmed by the cameras. I saw Gerad in his rumpled suit and May waving from her front-row seat beside Mom. My one and only bridesmaid, Marlee, was standing diagonally ahead of me, and a few more steps down the carpet and I'd reach Maxon. 

"Here you are, Mer," he whispered, pushing me away and walking to stand beside Maxon, as a groomsman of course.

And that was when I saw Maxon. His blond hair gelled and cropped perfectly, his brown eyes staring at me with awe, like I was the only thing in the entire universe that had ever mattered to him. 

My eyes watered as I stood beside him. Despite the long, almost agonizing words spoken by the priest, I was full of anticipation, this was where my and Maxon's story began.

"You may kiss the bride."

The words came suddenly, and Maxon came up to me, holding me in his arms and kissing me in the best possible way. As he cradled me in my arms I opened my eyes and stared into his with passion, earning an extra long kiss.

"I love you, America, and I always will," Maxon breathed after we finally pulled apart. I nodded in agreement and laughed as I saw Gerad's eyes flickering open after being squeezed shut. 

"Maxon, you'll always be perfect for me," I whispered in his ear.

He laughed, "of course, my dear."

A/N - Sorry for the short-ish chapter! Anyways I'd like to say thank you for reading this, but I am writing a epilogue so it's not officially over. Anyways, I'm also sorry this is a short fanfiction, I'm hoping to maybe make a sequel but I don't know. Anyways thank you...

@Moomoocow27 for telling me about the Selection in the first place!

@LinhLovegood for helping me along the way

@AnnieJamesAckerman for supporting this, commenting good stuff, and helping me as well