Chapter Four

I gritted my teeth as the limo pulled in. I had decided to stay back while Kenna and James went up front with Astra. Nervously I ducked my head enough not to be noticed.

Having lost my hat while running to the farmhouse I had nothing to hide me, nothing to protect me. But I stayed because I wanted to see how traitorous he was. Would he come out hand and hand with Kriss? Would he be tightly pressing Celeste to his body?

But first out King Clarkson. I heard cheers but I stayed silent, all I owed him was a punch to the face. After him, I saw Maxon come out and at his side was Elise. He looked miserable and gazed from side to side at his supporters, waving at them.

I wanted to scream, but instead, I just waved like everyone else, trying not to have attention drawn to me. 

But somehow it came anyways, I don't know how but Maxon noticed me, and he stared so hard everyone tried to see who he was looking at. 

I walked away, nervous to be discovered but still, I felt scared, feeling Maxon's gaze on me. 

I wanted to find out what happened so I circled back around. Outside now inside of a fenced area people were petting horses. Elise was ecstatic as Maxon sat her atop one of the horses, still he was scanning the area for me. 

But I couldn't even go near him. I left sprinting away, back to town. I never wanted to see his face again, he'd ruined my chance at happiness. I couldn't even have Aspen because he'd been drafted.

Maybe it was best I go back to May, Gerad, and my parents but until there was a way out of town, I couldn't.