Chapter Seven

Dear America,

I am ashamed of myself for letting go of you. If you wish I will fight for you to return...I will. I am in love with you if you haven't noticed and seeing you at the ranch made me so happy, just to see your hair and meet those brilliant blue eyes.

If you get this it's because I've been writing to August ever since we met...when I was finding my cousins, trying to protect them from rebels. I told him in his letter to get yours as well...he sent that you arrived last night.

I'd like to also state the palace is dull without you. If you've read about me and Celeste she just photoshopped my head onto a picture of her with another guy...just for show of course to make things more interesting. But I hate to tell you the kiss with Kriss was real. I didn't intend for it but she pulled me in, I would've resisted if she let me.

With remorse and deep sadness, I invite you back...I want you America. I hope to see you today at noon and I will do my best to bring you back.

Love, Maxon.

I grimaced at the thought of returning. I bet he could eventually bribe me back...but he would have to do it after time has passed, but not too much time. But even thinking about it I doubted I could be swayed into returning to the cold grasp of King Clarkson.

Sighing I rested my head on a branch. In the distance, I heard a faint sound, maybe voices? But decided to ignore it. 

My eyes closed and I just breathed for a moment. I liked it up here...there wasn't anything at all to bother me. 

Suddenly I heard footsteps. Loud ones thumping around, as if it was trying to make noise. "Mer!" I heard someone shout. I gasped, was it possible this was who I thought it was?

I looked down and saw scruffy black hair and green eyes, Aspen. Then I pulled myself up...if he saw me he would take me to Maxon. But regretfully I jumped down, it was getting lonely and even if I got one conversation with him everything could be better.

"Mer!" He exclaimed when he saw me, "when Maxon told me you were gone I thought Clarkson killed you!"

I shied away from his genuine hug. "I'm alright...I left after Clarkson forced me out and have been trying to forget my past," I explained, "whatever Maxon wants I'm not giving him. I like my new life." 

Aspen nodded, "actually I've come here because when I heard it was about you I just wanted to see my friend. Lucy has been stressing so much lately when we started to plan our wedding so I thought talking to a friend would be helpful."

Woah, I really had missed a lot. Now my maid was engaged to my ex-boyfriend? I felt warm inside though...Aspen had always been so close to me and I felt pleased to hear he was getting married.

Tentatively I asked, "so why do you really want to see me?"

He sighed, shaking his head to whispered, "I really miss you Mer," and hugged me tightly, "I don't know how I survived in the palace without you. I only really wanted to be there because I needed you." 

Tears fell from my eyes, "and I need you," I said, "it's been so lonely, no one even acknowledges me...even Kota and Kenna. If we could just write for a bit I'd be so happy."

"Maybe we can," Aspen said, a sly grin on his face, "just tell me what province you're going to next and I can send a letter to their post office...you can write back and say your next destination."

I nodded, relieved I found a way to keep in touch. "I'd better be going," he said, adding, "write soon!"

"I will," I giggled.