Chapter Fifteen

One day... that was the time left until Maxon chose the new princess. Before I either got to stay or had to go home. Before my life, would change forever, again.

It was nerve-racking. Celeste was her usual self but Kriss was going for sheer perfection, acting flattered every time someone did something for her. When the eliminated girls arrived for the occasion I embraced them in my arms as they congratulated me for making it so far.

"Good luck!" Tiny cheered, squealing in my ear and playfully tugging at my hair, "ever since I left I was praying for you."

My face turned red with blush, "thanks," I whispered as I caught a glare from Juanella. I rolled my eyes, of course, she'd hate me since her elimination was because she talked poorly about me on a date with Maxon.

Looking around I didn't see Marlee. Typical... the king would enforce his punishment until his last breath which meant I may never see my friend again. 

.   .   .

When lunch arrived everyone was ecstatic. I took my place at the table, eating up my food and occasionally commenting on the subject everyone was gossipping about, the One. 

I tried to meet Celeste's eyes, but she wasn't looking in my direction. Then as I scanned the crowd I saw Maxon tugging his ear anxiously. I tugged back as he met my eyes and then said, "I'm not feeling so well... can I go to my room?"

"I'll tell you what happened this evening in the women's room!" Tiny chirped before going back to chittering. I nodded and walked away.

In my room, everything was quiet... until Maxon knocked on the door and before a maid could open it, barged in. "Hello my dear," he whispered, "we need to talk."

"Yes?" I said, my head was tilting so I shoved it back up. Hopefully, the news was what I wanted, hopefully, it's what would give my life prosperity, and joy, and make my family rise from the rank of a five to something that would flourish... and possibly save everyone in Illea. 

"We're getting married."

As soon as the words spilled out of his lips I smiled. My grin was huge, full, and true, never in my life had I felt so much joy... not even the night Aspen first kissed me. "Yes!" I exclaimed, rushing over and putting my lips to his.

When Maxon pulled away he was beaming. "I'd better tell the others. Celeste first right? Honestly, I doubt she even wants to marry me now."

I nodded, "I could help you tell Kriss."

"No my dear America," Maxon said, shaking his head, "this is my responsibility as the prince... I should be going anyways."

I grinned, his smirk was hilarious as he walked away and when I collapsed into my bed joy surged through me as I fell asleep.