Chapter 28: What are the Chances of Rain in Atacama Desert?

Author's Note:  

Okay guys, I messed up the age thing. As I told you, I get too excited once I have finished a chapter and just try to upload it as quickly as possible. I forgot about the Korean age thing. And I also found out that high school seniors are around 17 to 18 years old in South Korea. Most graduate by the time they are 18. 

Plus the legal drinking age in Korea is 20 years (korean age), so 19 years (international age). High schoolers are not supposed to drink so Young Do cant be 20 (though he isn't one to abide by rules, you know that). 

It is weird I think. They looked older than 17 or 18. Anyway now, it's like this:

Na Ri: International Age (17), Korean Age (18).

Young Do: International Age (18), Korean Age (19).

Though the fact that Na Ri is one year younger than all her peers remains the same.  She is intelligent so she doesn't have much trouble studying. 

❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄❄

She thought he would make some flirtatious remark, but fortunately he didn't. Which led her to a realization: Maybe she was not the only one with a heavy heart.

It had just occurred to her that he was having seaweed soup with her on his birthday.

Why?

She thought he was a spoiled brat who was being catered to every second, so he should be busy celebrating his birthday glamorously the whole day with different people. Yet he didn't look like he had come from any celebration nor was going to any. He was even wearing the color of funeral; a black jacket and woolen turtleneck.

So his life was not as good as it seemed. To have seaweed soup on his birthday with a girl who didn't even like him.

It was weird. Because he was supposed to be different from her. Yet right now it seemed he was also alone. Like her. She had a ridiculous urge to scold him, tell him to stop being the person he was now, because he might regret it all someday.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Young Do suddenly asked, and she realized she had been staring at him. Darn it!

"I-I was not looking at you, I was thinking something so..."

"Liar. I caught you admiring my face." The devilish twinkle was back in his eyes as he grinned and teased her. "Why? Have you finally realized how handsome I am and you are madly in love with me?"

"What nonsense..." Ji Ah murmured. Fortunately she was not blushing today. Then to change the topic, she remembered something. "I was thinking of asking you something. Will you answer me honestly?"

"What is it?"

She hesitated. "What's you enmity with Kim Tan? Did he do something wrong to you in the past?"

He looked like he was not expecting that. "Why? Did Kim Tan say something to you?" 

"He said you are using me to get back at him. That must mean he has done something to you."

"Do you think I am using you?"

"I didn't ask you that. I am asking what happened between you two?"

He seemed to think it over, crossing his arms across his chest. "If I told you that, would you also tell me about what's your relationship with Kim Tan?"