Chapter 2: Complicated

Summary:

Kate makes a complicated decision

Notes:

Why do you have to go and make things so complicated?
I see the way you're acting like you're somebody else
Gets me frustrated
Life's like this, you
You fall, and you crawl, and you break
And you take what you get, and you turn it into honesty
Promise me I'm never gonna find you fake it

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

Later that morning, Kate went to Edwina's room to see her and bid her goodbye. Anthony was there as well and she was glad to be able to say her final goodbye to him as well.

She hugged her sister and said "Bon, did you sleep well? I know it is very hard. I miss Mumma as well. But, you must be strong. And I know you are strong." Edwina nodded and kept hugging her sister. Kate knew it wouldn't be easy but she had to bid goodbye and leave. She said "Bon, I will miss you dearly. But I will be very happy knowing you are happy with your new family. I am so proud of you! Mumma would be very proud too! I know you will be very busy but you must promise to write to me, whenever you have some time."

Edwina pulled away from her hug and said "Didi, I will not write any letters, because you will live with me."

Kate was surprised "Bon! I cannot! This was always the plan. That, I would return to India after your wedding."

Edwina would not hear of it. She had tears in her eyes. "Forget the plan! I am asking you now. You cannot abandon me. I need you! Mumma is gone. I cannot live without you as well. You have to come and live with me."

Kate was horrified. She couldn't live in her sister's house after sleeping with her husband. She needed a way out, and looked up at Anthony. But Anthony didn't want to get in the middle of it. He simply responded "This is between two sisters, I would not want to intervene."

Kate looked away, before her emotions got the better of her. Did he know of Edwina's plans before sleeping with her? He had the gall to say, he would not come between two sisters when that was ALL he had been doing ALL this time. But, she could not reveal anything and break her sister's heart, after she was already grieving so much.

She tried her best, to make Edwina listen to reason. "Bon, you have your married life ahead of you. Your duties and responsibilities are to your new family. I cannot be a burden to you and the Viscount."

Edwina started crying "What burden is it, to be with someone you love? Didi, how could you even think of abandoning me like this? I will not allow it. We have no family left in India. I am your only family and you are mine. You are the one who looked after me thus far, and now you think of running away? Am I such a burden to you? Why would you not listen to me? I need you."

Kate wiped Edwina's tears and hugged her. Edwina was just not willing to listen to reason. She thought she would try again in a week, hopefully she would be in a calmer state of mind and occupied with her new responsibilities. One week in Aubrey Hall may be bearable. She took a deep breath and said "As you wish." Anthony let out an audible gasp and Kate shook her head as she continued comforting Edwina.

They prepared to leave the very same day. Lady Danbury had returned after visiting her family in the country and apologized for missing the funeral. Edwina responded "My sister and I thank you, lady Danbury, for all your kindness. We couldn't have asked for a more gracious host and friend. We will always be grateful for your hospitality. Kate has agreed to live with me and not return to India. I hope you can come and visit us soon at Aubrey Hall." Lady Danbury looked surprised at the turn of events. She looked towards Kate with a raised eyebrow and said "Has she?'